Katrine joined the Sports Rehabilitation teaching unit September 2020 from a position as Associate Lecturer in Sports and Exercise Medicine at Queen Mary University of London.
Katrine was awarded her PhD from the Sports Technology Institute at Loughborough University in 2018 developing and validating human test protocols for human football boot testing. Her background also includes an MSc in Biomedical Engineering (Injury and Impact Biomechanics) from Université Paris Descartes and Arts et Metiers ParisTECH and a BSc in Sports Rehabilitation from University of Hull.
Katrine has a big research interest in football medicine and technology. She is especially passionate about improving women’s football through research to aid evidence-based practise.
Katrine is a keen football and futsal player.
- 2020-ongoing FIFA Expert Panel Member – “Steering Women’s Football Research”
- 2020-ongoing Hummel Expert Panel – “Designing Women’s Football Boots”
- 2019-ongoing Ida Sports consultancy on designing football boots for women
- 2019-ongoing Invited speaker on footwear decisions in football at Elite Football Clubs.
- 2017-18 Motivational speaker on Careers in Sports Technology at the Premier League U16 Released Players Residential Programme
- 2017-ongoing Presenting sports technology research at the Danish National Week of Research to the general public
- 2017 Invited speaker on career path at the University of Hull Student Conference
- 2016+17 Invited speaker on sports technology research at the National School Games
Areas of research supervision
- Football medicine (male and female)
- Technology in football (male and female)
- Football boot research (male and female)
- Women’s health
- Designing football boots for the player (fit, comfort, performance demands)
- Female football health
- Female football coaching education on health
- Football injury – defining and proactive research
Key Research Interests
- Football boots (Performance, player perception, injury risk),
- Women's football,
- Concussion strategies in football,
- Technology and screening in football.
- Rosenbloom, C., Chu, W., Chatterjee, R., and Okholm Kryger, K. (2021). Sport-related concussion practices of medical team staff in professional football in the United Kingdom. Science and Medicine in Football, in press.
- Okholm Kryger, K., Wang, A., Mehta, R., Impellizzeri, F.M., Massey A., and McCall, A. (2021). Research on women’s football: a scoping review. Science and Medicine in Football, https://doi.org/1080/24733938.2020.1868560
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mutamba, K., Mitchell, S., Miller, S.C. and Forrester, S. (2021). Physical performance and perception of foot discomfort during a soccer-specific match simulation. A comparison of football boots. Journal of Sports Sciences, https://doi.org/1080/02640414.2020.1856461
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mitchell, S., Zhou, D. and Forrester, S (2020). The effect of football boot upper padding on shooting accuracy and velocity performance. Sports Engineering, 23(18). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12283-020-00330-1
- Wang, A., Healy, J., Hyett, N., Berthelot, G. and Okholm Kryger, K. (2020). A systematic review on methodological variation in acute:chronic workload research in elite male football players. Science and Medicine in Football, in press. https://doi.org/10.1080/24733938.2020.1765007
- Angioi, M, Hodgson, K. and Okholm Kryger, K. (2020). An updated systematic review of turnout position assessment protocols used in dance medicine and science research. Journal of Dance Medicine and Science, in press.
- Hussain, E., Mehta, R., Angioi, M. and Okholm Kryger, K. (2020). In-shoe plantar pressure loading in female and male football: a systematic review, Footwear Science, 12(3), pp. 217-233.
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mitchell, S. and Forrester, S. (2019). Assessment of the accuracy of different systems for measuring football velocity and spin rate in the field. Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 233(2), pp. 324-330. https://doi.org/10.1177/1754337119830249
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mitchell, S., Zhou, D. and Forrester, S. (2018). The effect of football boot upper padding on dribbling and passing performance using a test–retest validated protocol. Sports Engineering, 21(4), 401-408. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12283-018-0284-z
- Okholm Kryger, K., Jarratt, V., Mitchell, S. and Forrester, S. (2016). Can subjective comfort be used as a measure of plantar pressure in football boots? Journal of Sports Sciences, 35(10), pp. 953-959. https://1080/02640414.2016.1206661
- Marc, A., Sedeaud, A., Schipman, J., Jacquemin, J., Saulière, G., Okholm Kryger, K. and Toussaint, J.F. (2015). Geographic enrolment of the top 100 in athletics running events from 1996 to 2012. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 57(4), pp. 418-428. https://23736/S0022-4707.16.06019-9
- Okholm Kryger, K., Dor, F., Guillaume, M., Haida, A., Noirez, P., Montavan, B. and Toussaint, J.F. (2015). Medical reasons behind player departures from male and female professional tennis competitions. The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 43(1), pp. 34-40. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546514552996
- Okholm Kryger, K., Wang, A., Mehta, R., Impellizzeri, F.M., Massey A., and McCall, A. (2021). Setting a research agenda for the future of women’s football: A scoping review. INSEP Meetings – Sports and Statistics. Paris, France
- Okholm Kryger, K. Mitchell, S. and Forrester, S. (2020). Effect of football boot upper padding on shooting accuracy and velocity performance - balancing out human error. In: Royal Statistical Society - Statistics and Sport. Loughborough, UK
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mitchell, S. and Forrester, S. (2019). Performance and foot discomfort during a football-specific match simulation. a comparison of football boots. In: Isokinetic Conference – Football Medicine. London, UK
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mitchell, S. and Forrester, S. (2017). Assessing the impact of upper padding thickness on passing and dribbling performance. In: World Conference of Science and Soccer. Rennes, France, p 109.
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mitchell, S. and Forrester, S. (2016). The speed-accuracy trade-off for football kicks. In: UK Footwear Science Meeting. Stoke on Trent, UK.
- Kloskowska, P., Twycross-Lewis, R., Okholm Kryger, K. and Birn-Jeffery, A. (2020). How do we simply assess gait deficits, injury likelihood and rehabilitation success? In: SportsKongress, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mitchell, S. and Forrester, S. (2017). Assessing the impact of upper padding thickness on kicking performance. In: World Conference of Science and Soccer. Rennes, France, p. 360.
- Okholm Kryger, K., Mitchell, S. and Forrester, S. (2017). How upper padding affects shooting performance. In: Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering PhD Research Conference. Loughborough, UK. (Awarded 1st prize at ‘Best Poster’ competition)