St Mary's Halls of Residence Application Process

New first year undergraduate students will be contacted from May onwards with booking instructions, including a link to the online booking system.

Students will then be able to complete an application from 17th May 2016. When completing the online application form, please note that you will be required to make an application payment of £250 using a secure online payment site. Once the payment has been made you will need to return to the online booking form to enter your receipt number and press Submit.

Room allocations will be made from June in line with the St Mary's Accommodation Allocation Policy and students will be contacted shortly afterwards.

Information about applying for accommodation in our halls of residence is sent out by post by the end of May to all prospective undergraduate students who have made us their firm choice by the UCAS deadline and meet the criteria in our allocation policy.

This will explain the procedure for making an online application. Applicants will be required to place all of the accommodation options in order of preference and a £250 application payment must be paid through a secure online payment site (using credit or debit card) before the accommodation application can be submitted.

This application payment comprises of a £200 Damage Deposit and £50 Booking Fee.

Please note: the £50 booking fee becomes non-refundable if an offer of accommodation is made.

The Accommodation Service has years of experience in helping international students find accommodation during their course. First year students who are eligible to live on campus will be contacted by the Accommodation Service from the beginning of May onwards with information regarding how and when to complete an online accommodation application.

As an International student you will have a selection of halls available for you to choose from. A student meal plan is included in the cost of all of St Mary's on-campus halls of residence, or you can choose Davidson House, a self-catered hall of residence in Kingston.

If you are a first year student who is opting to stay in halls of residence and you wish to reside in your accommodation over the Christmas closure period, we would advise you to consider choosing 16 Strawberry Hill Road as your first option as this is the only hall which stays open over the Christmas period.

If you are planning on attending the International Orientation Programme then we recommend that you choose De Marillac, Waldegrave Park (any room type), 16 Strawberry Hill Road and Davidson House as your top preferences. The International Orientation Programme starts a few days earlier than the start the accommodation licences, however international students are able to move into those halls of residence in time for the start of Orientation. Additional charges apply for moving into halls before 11th September 2016.

The Accommodation Service also provides information regarding off campus accommodation including; lodgings, private halls of residence and private sector housing.

For more information for International students, please visit the International accommodation pages.

If you are a returning student the Accommodation Service can provide advice on finding off-campus accommodation in private halls of residences, house and flat-shares, or in lodgings with local families.

We manage where private landlords and student accommodation providers advertise available local properties to St Mary's students. We can also provide details of local lettings agents which can be helpful to students.

The Accommodation Service does have provision for certain returning students to remain in halls of residence, please see the St Mary's Accommodation Allocation Policy to check your eligibility.

A limited number of rooms within the Waldegrave Park Houses and Clive Halls are reserved for returning Elite Athletes. Clive S and some rooms in Clive T can be booked by new students who are athletes, but need to be referred to us by EPACC.

Any student athletes who apply for accommodation but have not been referred by EPACC are allocated accommodation in line with our allocation policy as stated above.

If you will be starting St Mary's on a Postgraduate course then the Accommodation Service can help you to find external accommodation. There are useful links and advice available on our off-campus accommodation page.

Iif you would like to talk to a member of the Accommodation Service please contact us at or 020 8240 4034.

If you will be studying the first year of the Technical Theatre Undergraduate Fast Track course, then you will be able to apply for campus accommodation. However, the licence length is only 37 weeks and will only be available for the first two Trimesters. Davidson House, a private hall of residence in Kingston that you can apply for through St Mary's, has a 50 week licence length.

The Accommodation Service can provide advice to applicants regarding finding alternative off campus accommodation for the duration of your first year. Alternatively, the majority of students staying in campus accommodation go into the private sector at the end of their licence agreement.

Support and advice is available through the Accommodation Service for students looking for private accommodation, please seeour off-campus accommodation page for advice and for information about the types of accommodation that would be available or if you would like to talk to a member of the Accommodation Service please contact us at or 020 8240 4034.

Please refer to our Disability Provision Policy in the first instance. If you need to discuss your requirements further please contact a member of the Accommodation team on 020 8240 4034 (9am-5pm, Monday to Friday) who will be happy to help.

If you apply after the application deadline, or have not spoken to the Accommodation team about your specific requirements, it may not be possible for us to alter your accommodation offer.

Application Offers FAQ

Every year the Accommodation Service receives a high number of applications. To help you understand what to do next once you have received your offer, we have answered the most frequently asked questions below.

If you have a question that is not answered, please contact a member of the Accommodation team on 020 8240 4034 (9am-5pm, Monday to Friday) who will be happy to help.

Please follow the instructions included in your offer pack. For campus accommodation you will need to return the following documents in the envelope provided:

If you have been offered Davidson House, Fresh Student Living will contact you directly with instructions to complete an on-line tenancy agreement via their student portal.

You will have received a letter detailing the likelihood of gaining a place in Halls as well as useful information and links to alternative accommodation options.
If you applied after the application deadline or if you live within at 25-mile radius in a straight line, it is possible that you will have been placed on our waiting list. Places do become available in campus accommodation throughout the summer and these places will be allocated to students on our waiting list in accordance with the University’s Allocation Policy.

After A-level results we will contact all applicants remaining on the waiting list to advise them of the likelihood of a place in halls before the start of the academic year.

Please note that if you live within ten miles of the Campus, in a straight line, you are advised to consider commuting to the University. Alternatively you might want to consider off-campus accommodation options.

Halls are allocated on a first come, first serve basis, in accordance with the University’s Allocation Policy. Preferences are taken into consideration and you will have been allocated your highest preference that was available.

If you wish to try again for a higher accommodation preference you need to decline your offer and ask to go on the waiting list. Please bear in mind that if you do this, preference will be given to students that have not yet received an offer of accommodation and we cannot guarantee that another offer of accommodation will be made.

Alternatively, you might want to consider accommodation options off-campus.

Please refer to our off-campus accommodation page, which has lots of helpful links and information about finding off-campus accommodation.