Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Application process

St Mary's halls of residence application process

Applications can be made for University accommodation by completing an online application from late March. 

Eligibility criteria

We also understand how beneficial it is to live with people going through a similar experience; therefore we guarantee university accommodation to all new first year undergraduates who make St Mary's their firm choice and apply for accommodation by 31st May 2018.

How to apply

Eligible students can access the online application form when the applications open on Tuesday 2nd May.  The deadline for applications is Wednesday 31st May.

To submit your application you will need to have:

  • Your REGNUM: a 6 digit registration number included in our email to you
  • The password which we will email to you when booking opens
  • A credit/debit card to pay the £250 application payment (This comprises a £200 Damage Deposit and £50 Booking Fee – please note that once an offer of accommodation has been made, the Booking Fee becomes non-refundable).

As part of the application, you will be asked to rank the room bands available in order of preference.

Accommodation guarantee

We guarantee accommodation to eligible students (criteria listed above who live over 10 miles away from University and apply by 31st May.

Please note that whilst not covered by the guarantee; we endeavour to offer accommodation to all eligible students who apply. Our applications remain open after the initial deadline, however we will begin to allocate our accommodation from 31st May. At this time availability of certain room types might be limited therefore we recommend that you apply early.

Allocation of University accommodation

Room allocations will be made from June and students will be contacted shortly afterwards. 

Halls are allocated on a first come, first serve basis, in accordance with the University’s Allocation Policy. All preferences are taken into consideration and you will be allocated your highest preference room type that is available.

Further information for...

International applicants

The Accommodation Service has years of experience in helping international students find accommodation during their course. First year students who are eligible to live on campus will be contacted by the Accommodation Service from late April  onwards with information regarding how and when to complete an online accommodation application.

As an International student you will have a selection of University accommodation available for you to choose from which allow you to arrive early and attend the International Orientation. These include the following;

Catered options:  De Marillac, Waldegrave Park, 16 Strawberry Hill Road.

If you are interested in self-catered University accommodation, please contact the Accommodation Service who will try to arrange this for you.

Please note: Additional charges may apply for moving into halls before 10th September 2017.

If you are a first year student who is opting to stay in University accommodation and you wish to reside in your accommodation over the Christmas closure period, we would advise you to consider choosing 16 Strawberry Hill Road or one of the self-catered options as your highest preferences as these are the only halls which stay open over the Christmas period.

The Accommodation Service also provides information regarding off   private sector accommodation including; lodgings, private halls of residence and private sector housing.

For more information for International students, please visit the International accommodation pages.

Postgraduate applicants

If you will be starting St Mary's on a Postgraduate course then the Accommodation Service can help you to find external accommodation. There are useful links and advice available on our private sector accommodation page.

Places in University accommodation may be available for Postgraduate applications dependent upon availability and in line with the University’s Allocation Policy. Please contact the Accommodation Service for further information and to register your interest.

Applicants and students with families

University accommodation is aimed at first year students, for whom it is often their  first time away from home and is for sole-occupancy only. Students with families and partners who require local accommodation generally live in private rented housing 

The Accommodation Service can help you to find Private Sector accommodation. There are useful links and advice available on our  private sector accommodation page.

Applicants who have an accessibility requirement/medical condition

Please refer to our Disability Provision Policy in the first instance. If you need to discuss your requirements further please contact a member of the Accommodation Service  on 020 8240 4034 (9am-5pm, Monday to Friday) who will be happy to help. 

If you apply after the application deadline, or have not spoken to the Accommodation Service about your specific requirements, it may not be possible for us to alter your accommodation offer.

Care leavers

We recognise that students who are classed as Care Leavers may require additional support.  Please contact the Accommodation Service for further information.

Continuing students

The Accommodation Service may have provision for continuing students to remain in University accommodation, depending upon availability. Please contact the Accommodation Service to express your interest, the Accommodation Service will then keep a note of your request and contact you in May with further details.

If you are a continuing student the Accommodation Service can provide advice on finding private sector accommodation in private halls of residences, house and flat-shares, or in lodgings with local families.

We manage where private landlords and student accommodation providers advertise available local properties to St Mary's students. We can also provide details of local lettings agents which can be helpful to students.

Student athletes (EPACC)

Clive S and some rooms in Clive T can be booked by new students who are athletes, but need to be referred to us by  EPACC.

Any student athletes who apply for accommodation but have not been referred by EPACC are allocated accommodation in line with our allocation policy as stated above.

A limited number of rooms within the Waldegrave Park Houses and Clive Halls are reserved for returning Elite Athletes.

Technical Theatre Students

If you will be studying the first year of the Technical Theatre Undergraduate Fast Track course, then you will be able to apply for University accommodation. However, the licence length in University accommodation is only 37 weeks and will only be available for your first two Trimesters. There is self-catered University accommodation in Kingston and Twickenham that you can apply for through St Mary's and forms part of our University accommodation offering. Self-catered accommodation has either a 45 or 51 week licence length, which might be more suitable for your course requirements. Please bare this in mind when selecting your preferences.

If you would like to talk to a member of the Accommodation Service please contact us at or on 020 8240 4034.

Frequently asked questions

Every year the Accommodation Service receives a high number of applications. To help you understand what to do once you have received your offer, we have answered the most frequently asked questions below.

If you have a question that is not answered, please contact a member of the Accommodation Service on 020 8240 4034 (9am-5pm, Monday to Friday) who will be happy to help.

I received an offer I wish to accept, what shall I do?

Please follow the instructions included in your offer pack.

For University managed accommodation you will need to return the following documents in the envelope provided:

  • Accommodation fees form
  • Acceptance form
  • Instalment receipt from the  e-payments website

If you have been offered privately managed University accommodation the managing company will contact you directly with instructions to complete an on-line tenancy agreement via their student portal.

I didn’t get a place in the halls i wanted, what should I do?

University accommodation is allocated on a first come, first serve basis, in accordance with the University’s Allocation Policy. Preferences are taken into consideration and you will have been allocated your highest preference that was available.

If you wish to try again for a higher accommodation preference you need to decline your offer and ask to go on the waiting list. Please bear in mind that if you do this, preference will be given to students that have not yet received an offer of accommodation and we cannot guarantee that another offer of accommodation will be made.

I didn’t get a place in halls, what should I do?

We endeavour to offer accommodation to all eligible students who apply before the 31st May.  If you applied after the application deadline or if you live within the 10 mile radius in a straight line, it is possible that you will have been placed on our waiting list. Places do become available in University accommodation throughout the summer and these places will be allocated to students on our waiting list in accordance with the University’s Allocation Policy.  We will keep you informed after A-Level results day and will endeavour to accommodate you as soon as possible.    

If you live within ten miles of the Campus, in a straight line, you may wish to consider commuting to the University until a room becomes available. Alternatively you might want to consider  private sector accommodation options. Please contact the Accommodation Service if you have any queries about applying for Private Sector accommodation.

Was this page helpful?

Give further feedback