Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Applying to university for international students

Commonly asked application questions

What qualifications do I need to apply?

You can find the English language entry requirements on this website. Academic requirements are listed on programmes pages, but equivalents are available in the country-specific section.  If your country is not listed, please email for advice.

How can I apply to study at St Mary's?

  • International undergraduates are invited to  apply directly to St Mary's online or though  UCAS
  • EU students must always apply through  UCAS
  • American undergraduates may also apply through the Common App
  • Postgraduates may apply directly to their course of study via the link on the course webpages.

Please see our  How to Apply page for more information.

When should I apply?

There are no specific deadlines for international applications, but if you are applying from outside the UK you must make sure that you have enough time to apply for your visa.

Once we receive your completed application, we will aim to get back to you within one week. You can check approximate visa processing times for your country on the  Visas and Immigration website.

Please note: postgraduate applications close on Sunday 31st July 2017.

Do you work with overseas agents/representatives?

Yes, St Mary's has appointed agents/representatives around the world who offer face-to-face counselling and can help you with your application. These are listed on the  page for your country. If your country is not listed, please feel free to email for advice.

What type of visa will I need?

Full-time international students will require a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK. Study abroad students here for only one semester only need a short-term study visa unless they intend to do a workplace learning module or internship, in which case they will require a Tier 4.

St Mary's staff are experienced in supporting and assisting students through the visa process and our website has lots of  visa advice for applicants.

If you unsure which type of visa you need, you can check on this  UK government website.