Skip to content Exit mobile menu

How to apply for a master's at St Mary's

Applications for master's degree at St Mary's are submitted through our online application forms

Information about the documents you'll need to submit as part of your application can be found on the form. Any supporting documents can be uploaded as part of your online application, or scanned and emailed to

Application deadlines

We recommend applying by the following deadlines:

January 2024 entry (only available for selected courses)

Apply by the end of 2023.

September 2024 entry

Apply by mid-August 2024. Please be aware that some of our programmes have limited numbers and will close earlier if they become full.

Please note: We review and respond to applications throughout the year. Programmes may become full before the application deadline. We may also be able to accept applications for some programmes after the dates listed above, depending on spaces available and your individual circumstances.

Your next steps

Find out what to do once you've applied.

Your application will be reviewed by the Admissions Team and the Programme Director for the degree you've applied for.

When evaluating your suitability for the course, we will consider:

  • your interest in and commitment to the course
  • your academic background and qualifications
  • your professional interests and experience.

 The Programme Director may want to interview you before making an offer.

Conditional offers

Your offer may contain conditions such as completing a satisfactory DBS check. If English is not your first language you may also have to prove that you meet our English language requirements as a condition of your offer.

Accepting your offer

You can accept your offer to study at St Mary's by logging in to the online application portal.

To secure your place, you will need to pay a deposit of £5,000 through the online application portal.

All international students who need a student visa are required to pay this deposit, unless you are taking out a government loan or you are in receipt of a full scholarship. In these cases, please send a copy of the letter confirming your funding arrangements to

We can start to issue the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the summer onwards, which you will need to support your student visa application.

View the International deposit refund policy.

If English is not your first language, you will need to evidence your English language ability.

You should include any English language test results with your application. If we make you an offer we will let you know if it is acceptable, or if you will need to complete one of our accepted English language qualifications.

If you need to improve your English skills before starting your degree we offer pre-sessional English courses that are specially designed to help you meet the English language requirements for your chosen degree.

Before you arrive at St Mary’s University you must ensure that you have all the relevant documentation and visa information required for you to enter the UK.

Before you arrive at St Mary’s University you must ensure that you have all the relevant documentation and visa information required for you to enter the UK.

It is likely you will need a student visa to study a full degree programme at St Mary's. Check if you need a visa.

Apply for a Student Visa

Our website includes all the information you will need to help you though the visa application process.

A National Insurance (NI) number is an identification number given to UK residents to keep track of their tax and National Insurance contributions.

You have to apply for an NI number before you apply for jobs, but you can start working before you receive it. You can’t apply for an NI number until you’ve arrived in the UK.

To begin your NI number application, please call 0800 141 2075. The application is free, but you may have to hold for a long time before speaking to someone. The operator will ask you a number of questions and you should have your passport, UK address, UK telephone number and St Mary’s course details on hand when you call. You will probably also be asked to attend a follow-up appointment at a local Job Centre.

For full details of the NI number application process, please visit the government website.


Many students choose to work part-time during their course. Although your studies should be your first priority, working can add another dimension to your UK experience and let you earn some welcome spending money. Our Careers Service advertises positions to current students and has a range of tools to help you maximise your employability skills.

Please note that if you’re on a student visa, you will have firm restrictions on the number of hours you can work per week, including unpaid or voluntary work. Students on short-term study visas are not allowed to work. Details of your work permissions will be printed in your visa and/or stamped in your passport. Please see our visa guidance for details of your rights and responsibilities.

It is required that everyone working with children and vulnerable adults in England and Wales obtains a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

We require all teacher trainees to complete an enhanced DBS check.

Once you have accepted your place to study at St Mary’s we will send you an activation email to begin your DBS application via GBG Online Disclosures.