English language support
As an international student, you may need to improve your English skills before starting your degree. Our pre-sessional English courses are specially designed to help you meet the English language requirements for your chosen St Mary’s degree and to prepare you for university study in the UK. We offer different summer courses depending on your IELTS score.
- Improve your academic English language skills in a supportive academic environment
- Study in a beautiful and historic Royal Borough in West London
- Live in halls on the St Mary’s campus, in a homestay with a local family or in private accommodation
- Gain valuable study skills to help you succeed in your degree
- Connect with other international students
- Study on one Tier 4 visa for both the pre-sessional course and your St Mary’s degree (provided English language is the only condition on your main course offer).
- Receive excellent support and advice
- Choose a 10-week or a 6-week programme taught on-campus, depending on your IELTS score
- Recognised by UKVI
During the pre-sessional course, you will be taught by specialist language tutors and you will spend approximately 22 hours per week in classes, lectures, seminars and classroom-based e-learning. You will also have some periods of self-directed learning. In addition, you will be required to study for several hours each evening and at weekends. You will study general English and English for Academic Purposes (EAP). You will be regularly assessed, mainly through writing and oral presentations.
Our English courses are delivered in partnership with St Mary’s University London International College (SMULIC), our affiliate college, and are designed for both undergraduate and postgraduate students. On successful completion you will receive a certificate showing your attendance and recording your results.
Which course is right for me?
Which pre-sessional course you should take depends on your current IELTS score and the IELTS requirement for your St Mary’s degree. The 10-week course is designed for students who need to improve their IELTS score by 1.0, while the 6-week course is designed for students who need to improve their score by .5. See where your scores fit on the following table:
IF YOUR ST MARY’S COURSE REQUIREMENT IS IELTS 6.0 OVERALL WITH NO LESS THAN 5.5 IN ANY SECTION:
IF YOUR ST MARY’S COURSE REQUIREMENT IS IELTS 6.5 OVERALL WITH NO LESS THAN 6.0 IN ANY SECTION:
IF YOUR ST MARY’S COURSE REQUIREMENT IS IELTS 7.0 OVERALL WITH NO LESS THAN 6.5 IN ANY SECTION:
10-WEEK COURSE, 25 June-30 August 2019
£2995 tuition fee
Find out more and apply
Your entry requirements for this PSE course are IELTS 5.0 overall with no less than 4.5 in any section
Your entry requirements for this PSE course are IELTS 5.5 overall with no lower than 5.0 in any section
Your entry requirements for this PSE course are IELTS 6 overall with no less than 5.5 in any section
6-WEEK COURSE, 22 July-30 August 2019
£1995 tuition fee
Find out more and apply
Your entry requirements for this PSE course are IELTS 5.5 overall with no less than 5.0 in any section
Your entry requirements for this PSE course are IELTS 6.0 overall with no less than 5.5 in any section
Your entry requirements for this PSE course are IELTS 6.5 overall with no less than 6.0 in any section
Please note: Students who need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK must take an IELTS Academic for UKVI test. Other tests will not meet UKVI’s visa requirements. It can take up to one month for a Tier 4 visa application to be processed, so you must apply as soon as possible and no later than the deadlines given below. If you do not have your visa in time, you will not be able to join the course.
If you are looking for pre-sessional courses leading to SMULIC’s undergraduate or postgraduate pathway programmes, please see their website for details. You’ll automatically be considered for entry onto the pre-sessional course if necessary, so you won’t need to complete a separate application form.
You will need to have a valid (taken within two years) IELTS result from an approved test centre:
- Non-EU students who need a Tier 4 Visa must take the IELTS Academic for UKVI test for their visa requirements.
- Non-EU students who do not need a Tier 4 Visa can take the standard IELTS academic test.
- EU students can take the standard IELTS academic test.
Whatever your score, you should make every effort to improve your English before coming to London. Please do not wait until you arrive.
Sample course activities
During the course, you will be taught by specialist language tutors and you will spend approximately 22 hours per week in classes, lectures, seminars and classroom-based e-learning. You will also have some periods of self-directed learning. In addition, you will be required to study for several hours each evening and at weekends. You will study general English and English for Academic Purposes (EAP). You will be regularly assessed, mainly through writing and oral presentations. Topics of study will include:
- Presentation skills: organising and structuring a presentation; using vocabulary
- Seminar skills: presenting, developing and supporting an argument; participation in discussions
- Study skills: tips and strategies essential to your university success
- Academic English skills: reading and writing summaries; vocabulary; discussion
- Academic writing skills: paraphrasing; coherence; grammar; avoiding plagiarism
- Listening: note taking; understanding organisation
- Project work: using the library; extended reading
- Introducing you to the University, Twickenham and the surrounding area
- 1-1 meetings with your tutor to discuss your work and progress
- Strategies to develop your independent learning
- Helping you to settle in to your new environment and meet other students
During the course, you will carry out a number of tasks in class time as well as producing a portfolio of your work. You will join with other students from countries and cultures around the world in a lively, friendly and co-operative learning environment. Our maximum class size is 20 students.
Where you will be taught
During your programme, you will benefit from St Mary’s green, leafy campus and excellent teaching facilities. On-campus accommodation or housing in the local area is available. You will have access to campus amenities, including:
- The Library, which has a range of materials and IT equipment to support your learning
- The Students’ Union, which runs welfare campaigns and social activities for students, as well as clubs and societies
- Student Services, including our Wellbeing Service
- First-class sports facilities, including a Fitness and Conditioning Suite
- An orientation programme (including an airport pick-up service) upon arrival and support during your course
St Mary’s enjoys a beautiful campus location in a highly desirable part of West London. There is a wide choice of shops, restaurants, entertainment venues and recreational spaces in the local area. You will also have easy access to London, one of the world's most exciting cities.
Students who successfully complete either pre-sessional course are considered to have met the St Mary's English language requirements. Progression to your degree course from the programme depends on your fulfilling the following:
- Starting the programme on the correct date
- Attending all classes on your timetable
- Participating fully in all classes
- Making sufficient progress in your language
- Completing all homework, assessments and other tasks set by your tutors
Following successful completion of the course, you will begin your St Mary's degree programme. Our experience, supported by current academic thought, shows that student’s ability to use English increases when they practise it alongside their other studies.
For this reason, all students who complete the pre-sessional courses are encouraged to make full use of the St Mary's in-sessional English support programme. St Mary's students also have access to a Learning Development Lecturer focused on English for Academic Purposes.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
10-week course: Further details and application form
6-week course: Further details and application form