Students can bring enthusiasm, dedication, fresh ideas and the knowledge gained at university to your workplace. They carry out work placements on a part-time basis during the academic year. They will have been encouraged to research and contact organisations to negotiate their own placement in a field or sector which is of interest to them.
Students are expected to undertake work as close to that of regular staff as possible, with the necessary training. We encourage organisations to give students as much responsibility as they think practical in order to make it rewarding to both the organisation and the student.
Our Employer Engagement and Placements Team will liaise with organisations to ensure that they understand the placement requirements. At the end of the placement, students will ask their supervisors to complete a brief assessment form to evaluate the students’ performance which contributes to the student’s final grade for the module. This information will contribute towards the grade assigned by the tutor relating to the student’s overall performance in the workplace.
Below are some examples of work that students have undertaken in the past:
- Marketing: increasing organisations’ social media presence (tweeting, Facebook, etc) web design, press releases
- Sports development: working with clubs on the management side of running a club
- Sports coaching: working within schools, clubs and social community projects, helping develop and deliver training sessions
- Working in charities or not-for-profits: mentoring, working with clients in group sessions, helping with administration, helping organise events
- Office based: helping with projects, research, finance and general administration responsibilities
- Helping with schools in a teaching assistant capacity: working with small groups and individuals, as well as helping with administration of the classroom
If you would like to find out more about our workplace learning placements, please contact Maxine Edwards, Student Placement Lead on firstname.lastname@example.org or email email@example.com.
International Business Management graduate Joe chose to complete a Workplace Learning module in his final semester, involving a voluntary work placement...
Read Joe's story...
What employers say
“Our placement student has been a fantastic addition to the team, hitting the ground running and fully immersing themselves in our business. We tasked the student with two main projects, supporting our social media efforts and helping us to establish an awards submissions timetable.
"The results of the research undertaken is valuable information which we can now build into our marketing strategy. We would be delighted to host another student next year, it is a great idea.” 7 Billion Ideas, Surbiton
“During their time with London Scottish, our placement student has produced marketing content which has been a huge success, attracting a lot of attention from our members and from the wider community.
"The student’s contribution to our brand has been absolutely massive for us. I only hope that they have gained as much out of the placement experience as we have out of having them here.” London Scottish FC