Dr André Roca
André is a Senior Lecturer and Programme Director for the MSc Performance Football Coaching in the School of Sport, Health and Applied Science. André joined St Mary’s in 2013 following postdoctoral research and lectureship in skill acquisition at the German Sport University Cologne. He gained a first-class BSc Ed (Hons) Sport Sciences and Physical Education from the University of Coimbra, Portugal and a PhD in Expertise and Skill Acquisition from Liverpool John Moores University.
He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and leads and delivers on modules in the areas of skill acquisition and coaching at both under- and post-graduate levels. André’s broad research focus is the psychology of expertise and its acquisition in sports with a particular focus on football. His current research centres on understanding the complex perceptual–cognitive skills such as decision making and creativity, and how these are acquired through practice. He also supervises PhD and Master’s dissertation students in this research field across a number of institutions worldwide.
A holder of the UEFA ‘A’ coaching licence, André has several years' experience coaching elite young football players across different European countries. As a football player, he was part of a team that won the U15 Portuguese Championship. Currently he is the Head Coach of St Mary’s Men’s Football 1st team whom he led to being crowned BUCS South Eastern 1st Division champions in his first season in charge.
- Padilha, M. B., Oliveira, J. G., Olivares, J. S., Roca, A., & Teoldo, I. (2017). The influence of floaters on players’ tactical behaviour in small-sided and conditioned soccer games. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport. DOI: 10.1080/24748668.2017.1390723
- Roca, A., Memmert, D., & Ford, P. R. (2017). Perceptual-cognitive processes underlying creativity in skilled soccer players. In Proceedings of the 5th World Conference on Science and Soccer (p. 64). Rennes, France: University Rennes 2.
- Roca, A., & Williams, A. M. (2017). Does decision making transfer across similar and dissimilar sports? Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 31, 40-43.
- Roca, A., & Williams, A. M. (2017). Transferability vs. specificity of decision-making skill in sport. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 39, S179.
- Runswick, O. R., Roca, A., Williams, A. M., Bezodis, N. E., McRobert, A. P., & North, J. S. (2017). Contextual information in anticipation performance: A novel test of cognitive load theory. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 39, S180.
- Runswick, O. R., Roca, A., Williams, A. M., Bezodis, N. E., & North, J. S. (2017). The effects of anxiety and situation-specific context on perceptual-motor skill: A multi-level investigation. Psychological Research. DOI: 10.1007/s00426-017-0856-8
- Murphy, C., Jackson R. C., Cooke, K., Roca, A., Benguigui, N., & Williams, A. M. (2016). Contextual information and perceptual-cognitive expertise in a dynamic, temporally- constrained task. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 22, 455-470.
- Roca, A., & Williams, A. M. (2016). Expertise and the interaction between different perceptual-cognitive skills: Implications for testing and training. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 792.
- Runswick, O., Roca, A., Williams, A. M., & North, J. S. (2016). The effects of anxiety and situation-specific context on perceptual-motor skill: A multi-level investigation. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 38, S103-S104.
- Vater, C., Roca, A., & Williams, A. M. (2016). Effects of anxiety on anticipation and visual search in dynamic, time-constrained situations. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, 5, 179-192.
- Murphy, C. P., Jackson R. C., Roca, A., & Williams, A. M. (2015). Cognitive processes underlying anticipation in a context-oriented task. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 37, S53.
- Roca, A., Memmert, D., & Ford, P. R. (2015). Creativity, decision making and visual search in skilled soccer players. In J. Bangsbo, & P. Krustrup (Eds.), Proceedings of the 8th World Congress on Science and Football (p. 161). Copenhagen, Denmark: SL Grafik.
- Roca, A., Williams, A. M., & Ford, P. R. (2014). Capturing and testing perceptual-cognitive expertise: A comparison of stationary and movement response methods. Behavior Research Methods, 46, 173-177.
- Roca, A., Ford, P. R., McRobert, A. P., & Williams, A. M. (2013). Perceptual-cognitive skills and their interaction as a function of task constraints in soccer. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 35, 144-155.
- Roca, A., Ford, P. R., & Williams, A. M. (2013). The processes underlying ‘game intelligence’ skills in soccer players. In H. Nunome, B. Drust, & B. Dawson (Eds.), Science and Football VII (pp. 255-260). London, UK: Routledge.
- Roca, A. (2012). Oefening tijdens jeugd is cruciaal voor een beter spelinzicht! [Play during childhood is crucial for a better understanding of the game!]. Dug-Out, The Royal Belgian FA Journal, 85, 46-47.
- Roca, A., Williams, A. M., & Ford, P. R. (2012). Developmental activities and the acquisition of superior anticipation and decision making in soccer players. Journal of Sports Sciences, 30, 1643-1652.
- Roca, A., Williams, A. M., & Ford, P. R. (2012). The development of ‘game intelligence’ skills in soccer: An examination of the practice experiences contributing to superior anticipation and decision making. In Proceedings of the 3rd World Conference on Science and Soccer (p. 65). Ghent, Belgium: Victoris & Gent BC.
- Roca, A. (2011). Perceptual-cognitive expertise and its acquisition in soccer (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from British Library EThOS. (uk.bl.ethos.555808)
- Roca, A., Ford, P. R., McRobert, A. P., & Williams, A. M. (2011). Identifying the processes underpinning anticipation and decision-making in a dynamic time-constrained task. Cognitive Processing, 12, 301-310.