St Mary’s University and Old Elthamians RFC are offering students a fantastic opportunity to combine higher education studies with high-level professional rugby union support, offering excellence on the pitch and in the classroom.
As part of a ground-breaking five-year partnership, Old Elthamians RFC are offering exceptional scholarships for talented rugby players to cover the full costs of tuition and accommodation fees (including meals), worth around £50,000 for the duration of a player’s studies.
This programme will see students join the Men’s Rugby Performance Programme (MRPP) that grants access to high-quality professional coaching, strength & conditioning services, performance analysis, rehabilitation and massage services, performance workshops and use of the University’s world-class training facilities.
Students unsuccessful in their applications for the MRPP will also have opportunities to play for the club’s 2nd and 3rd teams, accessing high-quality coaching and being part of a successful club environment, competing in BUCS competitions on Wednesday afternoons.
To register your interest in the programme please complete the form below by 7th March to allow us to gain a greater understanding of your background. We require all fields to be filled out and it should be noted that this information will be used for external purposes.
Please note that all players need to be eligible to study at St Mary’s, to confirm the University as their first choice institution and be accepted on a programme of study. Also, scholars will be asked to sign a player agreement.
Applications and timeline
For those interested in the programme the anticipated timeline for those starting in September 2019 is as follows:
- 15th January 2019 – All UCAS applications should be made by this date
- 31st January 2019 – Majority of University offers of places are sent out for those who apply by 15th January
- 7th March 2019 – All prospective students to complete the scholarship application form
- 1st April 2019 – Aim to confirm the majority of rugby scholarship decisions
- 1st May 2019 – Applicants need to select St Mary’s as 1st choice by this date
- 5th July 2019 – Clearing opens for students that did not meet their offer and those that applied after UCAS applications closed
- August 2019 – Club pre-season to begin
Please note that we are still accepting applications for our rugby scholarship, however those submitted prior to our original application deadline (7th March) will be given higher priority.
Final selection of scholars will be undertaken by St Mary’s University and Old Elthamians in line with the above timeline, however these dates are still provisional and are subject to change at any time. We will endeavour to keep applicants up to date with the application process.
For further information please contact our Sports Performance Officer at email@example.com