Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Safety and support: a guide for parents

We know starting uni can be a bit daunting - perhaps your young person will be leaving home for the first time, or embarking on study after a long break.

More than anything we want them to enjoy their time here and feel safe and supported. 

How do I know that my young person is safe? 

Here at St Mary's, we have on-campus security in operation 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to provide staff, students and visitors with a safe and secure working and study environment. The security office is located near the main reception (please see check our campus map) and can be contacted directly on 020 8240 4335.

The security office patrols the campus, monitors CCTV, investigates crimes, responds to emergencies and can offer advice on how to prevent crime. If you see or hear anything suspicious happening on or off campus please contact the security office to report it.

Does my young person have enough support on campus?

Of course! St Mary's is a caring University community and we try our best to make sure there is a complete network of services in place to ensure our students are fully supported throughout their studies here. Our Student Services team is right at the heart of our campus (on the second and third floors of the building with the white roof on this pic overlooking the track) and open every working day. 

When your young person gets to campus, we’re sure they’ll feel part of our community very quickly. As part of that community, we want to reassure them that Student Wellbeing Service offers them somewhere to discuss - in confidence - any concerns they have that may affect their studies. The team will be here to listen and provide advice and guidance, whether you need a solution to a problem or ongoing support.

Does the university offer disability and dyslexia support?

Yes, St Mary’s offers advice and support to students who have requirements as a result of a disability, mental health condition, specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia), medical condition or temporary disability, such as injury. 

Please visit our Disability and Dyslexia webpage for more information.

Does my young person need to register with a doctor?

Yes, if your daughter/son has moved to the area, we strongly advise that they register with a local GP surgery. Locally, they will find York Medical Practice and Cross Deep Surgery. If your daughter/son has any further questions about this process, they should contact to find out more.

What if my young person needs study support?

If your son/daughter feels overwhelmed or needs help at any time during their studies, they’ll be able to take advantage of a personal tutor throughout the entire period of study, or rely on any of our support networks. 

If your young person does need extra support whilst they’re at St Mary’s, counselling forms part of the Student Wellbeing Service and is available to all students, regardless of age or circumstance. Whether they’re living on campus or not.