Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Fees and funding: advice for parents

Attending university is one of the greatest investments your young person will ever make, but we are also aware that there are a lot of fees involved in the process.

The Student Funding Service is there to provide assistance in all matters to do with your finances. 

How can my son or daughter finance their studies?

There are several ways for your applicant to manage their money: through loans and grants, savings, parental/partner support and part-time work. Some students may also be eligible for a scholarship or bursary

How do I find out what the tuition fees are? 

The tuition fees are different for Home, EU and international students. Please visit our tuition fees page for more information. 

What are some extra living costs that my young person should take into account?

TV and electrical equipment

If your young person brings their own television, they must provide their own tv license. Please call 0300 790 6165 or check the TV licensing website for student details and info on how to apply. 


Travelling to London could become expensive overtime. As a student at St Mary’s, your young person can get discounted travel with an Oyster photo card, which can be purchased online on the Transport for London website.

Gym memberships, club and societies

The gym membership includes access to all Fitness Classes throughout the academic year (Sept – May). Please visit our Gym Membership page for more information about student rates. Some club and societies also require a joining fee. To find out more, please visit the SMSU website.

Find out more

If you have further questions, do not hesitate to contact us or visit our Budgeting advice and check our other student funding guides and support pages for more answers to your questions.