We aim to build on our established strengths and by 2025 secure the Gold standard ranking under the new Teaching Excellence Framework.
To achieve this goal we will excel in teaching with specialist anchors in certain areas of research. We will concentrate on delivering fewer programmes to a very high standard and focusing on outcomes, notably fulfilling employment.
We aim for all St Mary's students to be knowledgeable, confident, resilient, and ambitious individuals – ambitious both for themselves and for the global society in which they will live and with which they will engage. They will demonstrate St Mary's values in their daily lives, generously caring for and contributing to the community, and bringing an ethical approach to all that they do.
We will achieve this ambition by offering exceptional student learning opportunities to maximise student engagement, retention and life- long success. We will deliver this through a distinctive St Mary's approach that develops a broad and balanced education embracing formation of the whole character through full membership of a learning community. Through the applied nature of many of our programmes and the integration of work placements into courses, we will maximise employment opportunities. This approach will enable our students to flourish and make a positive impact in a complex and demanding world.
- Work towards the reduction of the staff-student ratio to no more than 1:15
- Ensure that our core curriculum provides a common entitlement to key skills and knowledge strands related to employability, personal development and global mindedness
- Support the alignment of teaching, scholarship, enterprise and professional activity
- Accelerate academic feedback, reinforce its quality and intensify personal support for students, to maximise their engagement and achievement
Contribute to reputational advancement, increase external esteem and improve our standing in league tables
- Support internationalisation
- Provide a framework for estates and information technology infrastructure developments
We will also refine performance measurement and ensure that excellence in teaching and scholarship is nurtured, rewarded and continuously enhanced.
- Providing a personal support tutor for every student to encourage academic rigour and deliver pastoral care
- Advancing towards our goal that all new, full-time undergraduates who require it will have a guarantee of accommodation within easy reach of campus
- Developing a globally relevant course portfolio that equips our students to be knowledgeable and critical for self and society
- Offering learning opportunities that are challenging, stimulating and stretching, and that prepare our students for fulfilling graduate opportunities
- Ensuring that wherever appropriate our Masters courses are professionally accredited