Our Document Supply service provides access to specialist published resources which are not available in the University Library Collection.
Requests normally arrive within 4-7 working days, but we cannot guarantee that an item will be supplied before a specific deadline.
Document Supply requests are charged at the subsidised rate of £5.50 each. For staff, this fee can be re-charged to your Academic School/department.
Request to borrow a book, journal or conference paper
Before requesting an item, please check that it is not available in the St Mary's library collection. You can do this by searching for the item in Library Search.
Receiving documents from the British Library electronically on your PC or mobile devices
British Library supplies your journal articles, book chapters and conference papers to your email address via DRM Lite delivery method.
DRM Lite requirements:
- You have to be online to receive your document
- You have to be registered with the British Library On Demand
- You need to use only Adobe Reader 10 or above to view your document
- We recommend the use of Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers to download documents
Document downloading and viewing:
- The link to your document will be active only for 30 days from dispatch
- You will need to be connected to the Internet to read your documents.
- Once downloaded and saved, you can view the document for up to 3 years
- You can keep copies of your document on multiple devices, including tablets and smartphones
- The document may only be printed once and it is recommended that you print it immediately
Request a thesis: EThOS
If you are looking for a postgraduate dissertation or thesis please search EThOS first. EThOS is the British Library service which allows individuals to locate theses produced in UK Higher Education Institutions.
If the thesis you require is not available from EThOS please request the thesis using the following form. We will attempt to source a copy from the home university:
Document Supply FAQs
If you have any queries about this service please see our Document Supply Frequently Asked Questions
The Document Supply service is operated under the terms of the Library Document Supply Policy.
Need electronic copies of extracts for teaching?
Document Supply is for personal research use only. Items required for distribution to students via the Online Resource List system or MyModules must be ordered through the Digital Course Readings service.