To make an application for University Accommodation, you are required to tick a box to confirm you have read, understood and accept these Terms and Conditions. You will not be able to complete your application without doing this.
These Terms and Conditions should be read in conjunction with the Accommodation Allocation Policy.
- Last updated: February 2023
- Next review: January 2024
1.1 This Document refers to accommodation that is applied for and allocated by the University Accommodation Service and consists of rooms either managed by the University or by a private provider or landlord, hereinafter referred to as University Accommodation.
Application and allocation process
2.1 For information regarding the application and allocation process for University accommodation Students should refer to the Accommodation Allocation Policy.
Accepting a room offer
3.1 All Students are required to accept a room offer by the expiry date specified in their offer email. A £300 refundable deposit (the “Deposit”) is due as part of the acceptance process. Offers that are not accepted by the expiry date stated in their offer email will automatically be rescinded.
3.2 Students who reject an offer that they have received may request to be placed on the waiting list to be allocated an alternative room. Subsequent offers are not guaranteed and will only be made subject to availability once students identified as priority groups in the Accommodation Allocation Policy have received an offer of University Accommodation.
3.3 Upon acceptance of a room offer, Students will enter into a legally binding agreement. Accommodation fees will be due as per the payment schedule (please note, this may require accommodation fees to be paid in advance of your arrival at the University).
3.4 Students who accept University accommodation managed by a private provider will be subject to the terms of the private provider’s agreement, which may differ from the terms of the Campus Licence Agreement.
3.5 For Students that have accepted an offer within University-managed accommodation, fees are payable to the University Fees Office. Accommodation fees for students that have accepted University Accommodation managed by a private provider will make payments directly to that provider.
Cancellation and refunds
5.1 Students who do not accept their room offer by the expiry date stated in their offer email will have their offer automatically rescinded.
5.2 Students who have already accepted an offer of accommodation and subsequently do not meet the terms of their conditional offer or who are not offered a place at the University, will be permitted to cancel their booking, in writing, at least 7 days before the commencement of the licence agreement and receive a refund of the Deposit.
5.3 A Students’ right to cancel an agreement for the provision of accommodation will be dealt with in accordance with the terms of the respective agreement, either with the University or the private provider.
St Mary’s Accommodation Service privacy notice
6. St Mary’s Accommodation Service will use the data you provide in your application for accommodation in accordance with the St Mary’s University Student Privacy Notice and for the purposes of:
- (a) Fulfilling our contractual obligations to you as a prospective student of the University;
- (b) Determining your eligibility, as defined in the University Accommodation Allocation Policy, and whether you meet the requirements to be offered a place for University accommodation. This may involve sharing certain information, or obtaining confirmation with University departments, including but not limited to:
- (i) Admissions for confirmation of full-time course offer and to confirm St Mary’s is the firm-choice institution.
- (ii) The Registry for confirmation or clarification of Student enrolment, details regarding the Students’ enrolment status or academic progression.
- (iii) The Fees Office for details concerning outstanding accommodation fee debt or previous debtor history which may affect eligibility (please refer to the Accommodation Allocation Policy).
- (iv) Departments who refer Students for particular types of accommodation, such as, the Student Union, Chaplaincy, EPC, Wellbeing, International Office and the Funding Service.
- (c) Communicating with you before you have applied for accommodation, throughout the application process, whilst in residence and to discuss future accommodation options.
- (d) Processing the Deposit and any refunds. The University Finance department will have access to your information. If you select to pay by TransferMate, your information will also be shared with TransferMate.
- (e) It may be necessary to share your information with I.T, or our external software supplier, in order to resolve any technical issues; to update and/or develop the online accommodation software.
- (f) Sharing your personal information with the Wellbeing Service if you have disclosed a medical condition and/or disability to the University as part of your application for accommodation; and with the Funding Service if you disclose that you are a Care Leaver, Estranged or Adult at Risk.
- (g) Sharing relevant information with private providers. Where a student has been offered a room in University accommodation managed by a private provider (including a resident landlord), we will share all relevant information in respect of contact details, disability and/ or medical condition and enrolment status to that provider for the purpose of a Student entering a tenancy agreement.
- (h) The following University departments, in addition to the Accommodation Service, will have access to residents’ personal information, including information held in respect of a student’s disability and/or medical condition where necessary:
- (i) Security
- (ii) Mailroom
- (iii) Maintenance
- (iv) Housekeeping
- (v) Catering
- (vi) Health and Safety
- (vii) Finance
- (viii) Student Services
- (ix) Student Conduct.
6.1 St Mary’s takes its obligations in respect of the privacy of personal data very seriously and it will only process personal information in accordance with its privacy statement and for the purposes detailed above, unless St Mary’s informs you otherwise. In order to ensure that the personal data on the application form is accurate and up to date, St Mary’s request that you inform them of any relevant changes to the personal information it holds about you.
7 The University reserves the right to change the room that a Student has accepted, prior to occupation, for a room of the same type for operational or discretionary reasons. Any such change will be notified to the Student via e-mail with reasonable notice.
Accommodation Office J208
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8240 4034/4385
St Mary’s University