The Level 3 Diploma in Body Massage (ITEC) course is designed to provide training for giving safe massage treatments that are both commercially acceptable and performed in accordance with legislation and establishment rules.
Once you have successfully passed this massage course, you will be a fully qualified masseur who can gain insurance and set up your own business or gain employment within the industry.
Dates and times
This is a part-time course with 17 sessions that run once a week over a five month period.
Each day of the course will run from 9.30am-4.30pm and you can choose from the following date options.
- Wednesday course sessions run from 20th September 2023 to 7th February 2024.
- Sunday course sessions run from 17th September 2023 to 4th February 2024.
- Saturday course sessions run from 24th February 2024 to 6th July 2024.
- Wednesday course sessions run from 21st February 2024 to 3rd July 2024.
The examination date will be an additional day approximately two to three weeks after the last day of the course. Once agreed with the external provider you will be notified by email.
We also offer a Level 3 Intensive Diploma in Massage course which is full-time, Monday to Friday, and runs over a three week period. The next couse will run on the weeks commencing:
- Monday 5th June 2023
- Monday 19th June 2023
- Monday 3 July 2023.
This course will be held at our 60 Waldegrave Road Campus.
The full cost is £1,650. The deposit cost is £50.
Whilst enrolled upon the course you will study three distinct modules including:
- Body Massage
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Business Practice for Complementary Therapies.
Students on this course are required to complete the “Business Practice for Complementary Therapies” module. We have taken a blended learning approach to this module and students are required to undertake independent study. The workbook is completed online via our e-learning platform. You will follow a step-by-step course to produce the business plan.
The Anatomy and Physiology module will cover the following areas:
- body systems including skeletal, muscular, circulatory and lymphatic, neurological, endocrine, urinary and reproductive, respiratory, and digestive
- anatomical planes and positions
- skin, hair and nails
- common pathologies affecting each body system.
You will apply the foundation knowledge you learn in Anatomy and Physiology and will learn the practical skills of how to give a full body massage. Throughout the Body Massage element course you will cover the following:
- full body massage using a variety of techniques
- the treatment environment and the working area
- therapist appearance and behaviour
- client care and preparation
- legislation and working practices
- client consultations including contraindications and restrictions
- reflective practice
- the history and philosophy of massage
- good practice and legal obligations
- principles and practice for complementary therapies.
Throughout the course you will both give and receive massages so please be prepared; this is a practical, hands-on course.
The course will be assessed by the following methods:
- completion of 36 massage treatments
- a final practical exam supervised by an external ITEC examiner, including oral questioning
- written assignments
- completion of a multiple choice paper.
It is recommended that learners should have achieved a level of education equivalent to five GCSEs at grades A*-C prior to commencing the ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Massage, however exemptions may be made for adult returners with experience of the work place.
Due to the amount of information covered on the course, home studies of approximately five hours per week will be required.
If you already hold an equivalent qualification in one of three modules (Body Massage, Anatomy and Physiology, Business Practice for Complementary Therapies), you may be eligible for recognised prior learning exemption and be excused from having to take that part of the course. Please contact us if you would like to discuss this.
We also offer the Level 2 Award in Infection Prevention (COVID-19) for Complementary Therapies and Sports Massage. This course is available to study online, see here for details.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be awarded an ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Massage.
You will be a fully qualified masseur who can gain insurance and set up your own business or gain employment within the industry.
Select a course
Please select which course you would like to book on to:
For more information about this course please contact the Short Courses Team:
Telephone: 020 8240 4321