Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Support for students living on campus

Every residence has a hall support team consisting of a Resident Mentor and Senior Resident.

The team can offer support and advice on hall related issues (such as fire safety, noise disturbance and sharing facilities).

Resident Mentors

Resident Mentors are members of staff who reside in the halls of residence and are the first point of contact for students. They are responsible for student discipline and welfare in their halls. Their role is to support, guide and assist students living on campus. If your Resident Mentor is unable to assist you with a personal matter, they will advise you of the appropriate support services. 

Resident Mentors also ensure the safety of halls of residence and ensure that students do not cause a nuisance or damage. Resident Mentors can issue disciplinary action against students who breach the terms and conditions of the Accommodation License Agreement. Disciplinary action may result in fines (deducted from your damage deposit), expulsion from halls and/or expulsion from the University depending on the severity of the breach.

Senior Residents

Senior Residents are students who reside in the halls of residence, helping the Resident Mentors perform their duties. Senior Residents are usually second or third years who have lived in halls of residence during their first year. Their role is to assist and support you - particularly while you're settling in during your first few weeks here, but also throughout your time in halls. You can seek advice and general information about St Mary’s from them.

Hall meetings

Halls meetings take place throughout the academic year. It is mandatory for all residents to attend hall meetings when they are called. The meetings will contain very important information about halls including fire safety, the terms of occupancy, and information about support services across campus. Hall meetings are ran by your Resident Mentor and attendance is monitored.

Medical support

If you have moved to the area, we strongly advise that you register with a local GP surgery. Locally, you will find York Medical Practice and Cross Deep Surgery. If you have any further questions about this process, pleased do get in touch with to find out more. 

Accessibility information