Sunday 27th July – Saturday 16th August 2018
The St Mary’s Shakespeare Summer School offers you an exciting three-week immersive course that explores the work of the world’s greatest playwright in the city where he made his name: London.
The majority of your time will be spent working with distinguished Shakespearean actors and directors, exploring his work in performance.
This performance-led summer school is mixed with a series of contextual lectures, excursions and theatre trips that are designed to deepen your understanding of Shakespeare’s world as a playwright of both the court and the city.
Workshops and performances
You'll be part of a selective company of International actors for a three-week intensive rehearsal period - led by a professional director - that culminates in a shared performance at a local venue.
This part of the course will increase your understanding of the demands that Shakespeare’s text places on actors and offers a range of approaches designed to improve your own technique.
- The summer school will run between Sunday 27th July – Saturday 16th August 2018
- Accommodation and two meals per day on our attractive South West London campus.
- Three week rehearsal process led by leading Shakespearean actors and directors, culminating in a shared performance of the work
- Full day excursion to Stratford-upon-Avon including a tour of key sights and tickets to productions by the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC)
- Trips to see work at The Globe Theatre and the Royal National Theatre in London
- Guided walking tour of Shakespeare’s London
- Afternoon excursion to Hampton Court
- Contextual lectures by leading academics
- Full orientation support from our dedicated team throughout the programme
- Opportunities for additional excursions and activities
About St Mary's
Situated in the leafy London Borough of Richmond-upon-Thames, our location is hard to beat. With Central London a short train journey from the campus, it doesn't take long to find yourself surrounded by famous landmarks such as the London Eye, Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus!
More locally to the University, you will find two Royal parks (Bushy Park and Richmond Park), Hampton Court Palace and the home of rugby, Twickenham Stadium.
Within the campus itself is the iconic Strawberry Hill House, which is heralded as beginning the Gothic revival of the 19th century.
Find out more
To find out more about the Shakespeare Summer School please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
When completing your booking you will need to include a reference. Applications will be followed by a phone or Skype interview.
Book your place now
Requirements and costs
Total cost: £3,300.50-3,846.50
The cost of the course includes accommodation and excursions, but does not cover your travel to and from St Mary's University. Costs vary depending on the type of accommodation you wish to book.
Whatever stage you’re at with your study, the course is designed to enable Drama students - and those interested in deepening their understanding of William Shakespeare through performance - to hone their skills in a focused environment.
You will need to supply a reference who can support your application and confirm your performing experience.
If English is not your first language we recommend an overall IELTS score of at least 6.5.