Our BA in Film degree gives you the opportunity to explore film theory and history, as well as hands-on in a range of practical media production modules.
- The programme will provide you with a solid background in screen industries, from a theoretical, practical and industry perspective.
- Study with media professionals and international and national experts in film, television and popular culture.
- You will learn precise research and production skills that will allow you to enter a wide variety of professions.
- Professional development and work experience modules.
- Option to study with a placement year of paid work experience
Why study Film?
With approximately one in five new jobs in London within the creative industries, our Film degree will provide you with a solid background in screen industries, from a theoretical, practical and industry perspective.
You will learn precise research and production skills that will allow you to enter a wide variety of professions. You will also be following individual interests and passions that will motivate you to work hard in your chosen area of study.
By studying a range of topics you will gain an understanding of the most significant issues affecting the media today and its relationship with our culture and society. This degree will prepare you for a career in a wide range of industries.
We offer opportunities for you to gain work experience in the media and specialist modules to develop your skills in creative scriptwriting, film and cultural criticism and film production.
Why St Mary's?
The degree includes modules on a wide variety of film, television, popular music and other screen media. There is plenty of chance for you to explore the types of media that particularly interest you.
As well as being a train ride away from the heart of London's film industry, our students benefit from an extremely accessible teaching staff, made up of research academics as well as industry professionals.
Film is also available with a placement year of paid work experience.
The undergraduate degree with foundation year programme offers applicants without traditional qualifications or grades an alternative route to studying Film.
Dr Jon Hackett
Head of Department - Communications, Media and Marketing