Funding a postgraduate course can be a big financial commitment. There is no statutory funding available for postgraduate courses (other than PGCE courses) and most postgraduate taught students are self funded. There are several ways that students can fund their studies either through work, savings, a Professional & Career Development Loan or educational trust & charity funding. The information given in these pages is designed to assist you in finding financial help that may be available to you.

Tuition Fees

The tuition fees for postgraduate students varies, depending on your course and whether you are a UK, EU or International Student.

In the 2014 Autumn Statement, George Osborne announced that the UK will be introducing government-backed postgraduate funding for taught masters programmes.

Starting in the 2016/17 academic year, up to £10,000 a year will be available to postgraduate students under the age of 30. Returning mature students are not eligible for a postgraduate government loan.

Loans are paid back concurrently with undergraduate student loans and similarly payments vary on an income basis.

Repayments are set to be 9% of salary earned above the income threshold of £21,000. Payments begin as soon as the income threshold is met. Borrowers are charged interest set at 3% RPI (Retail Price Index).

Any remaining postgraduate loan debt will written off after 30 years from the date at which the interest started accruing.

More information about postgraduate government loans is available in the March 2015 consultation document.

Please note: Government postgraduate loans are still under consultation and this information is subject to change. These loands do not include research masters programmes and PhDs

A P and CDL is a bank loan. You make an agreement with a participating bank to borrow an amount between £300 and £10,000. You will have to pay it back once you've left your course, however, you don't pay interest while you are studying. For further information, visit the government's webpage on Professional and Career Development Loans.

If you are in employment, it may be worthwhile asking your employer if they would be willing to give you full or partial support throughout your studies as many employers value the additional knowledge and skills that postgraduate study offers.

Many educational trusts and charities offer financial assistance to home, EU and international students. Most have specific criteria that you must meet in order to receive their help. Some trusts are set up especially to benefit students with disabilities.

You should be aware that:

  • You will need to make an application well in advance of beginning a course of study if you are relying on help from this source.
  • Full scholarships are rare, due to the large number of people applying each year. Many educational trusts will only help students in their final year of study and often only in their final term.
  • You will normally need to provide evidence that you have tried all other sources of financial help when you apply.

A full list of St Mary's postgraduate scholarships offered to international students can be found on the international scholarships webpage.

See our Federal Aid information sheet on the Information for Students from the USA page.

Useful Links

The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding Online is all about alternative sources of funding, especially charities, which can make awards (fees, maintenance, research costs) to any student regardless of subject, or nationality.

The Alternative Guide Online contains a huge database of funding opportunities, comprehensive guidance, and numerous tools to help you prepare a winning grant application. It is free for all St Mary's University students and staff to use - Login Now

If you are a prospective student who has applied to the university, please to get an access PIN.

More Information

For more information on student funding, please see the main Money Matters section of this website.