The Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage (ITEC) course is designed for qualified sports massage therapists who have already achieved the Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage qualification and are keen to expand their client base to clientele including recreational athletes and fitness enthusiasts and team club players.
The course will allow you to build upon your existing knowledge to achieve a comprehensive understanding of injury management. You will learn advanced techniques and use tools and skills to be able to assess and treat common patterns of dysfunction and suitable pre-diagnosed injuries.
I had a great experience doing the Level 4 course at St Mary's, from a great bunch of fellow students to our teacher, who was very knowledgeable and kept the classes fun and interesting. Even when I had my leg in a brace for a couple of months during the course due to a rugby injury, everyone found a way to help and keep me involved. I wouldn't hesitate to do another short course at St Mary's University.
Dates and times
The course will run for one day a week over 12 sessions between 9.30am-4.30pm. You can choose from sessions held on a Wednesday or Saturday and in 2024 from sessions on a Sunday or a Wednesday.
- Wednesday course sessions run from 1st November 2023 to 7th February 2024.
- Saturday course sessions run from 4th November 2023 to 10th February 2024.
- Sunday course sessions run from 24th March 2024 to 30th June 2024.
- Wednesday course sessions run from 20th March 2024 to 26th June 2024.
The examination date will be an additional day approximately two to three weeks after the last day of the course. Once agreed with the external provider you will be notified by email.
We also offer a Summer Intensive Course which runs the 12 sessions over an intense two week period and includes a revision weekend.
The next Level 4 intensive course runs from 9.30am-4.30pm over the following dates:
- Monday to Friday week commencing 10th July 2023
- Monday to Friday week commencing 24th July 2023
- Weekend revision session on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th September.
This course will take place at our 60 Waldegrave Road campus.
The full cost for the course is £1,450. The deposit cost is £50.
Whilst enrolled upon the course you will study three distinct units:
- Conducting Subjective and Objective Assessment
- Treatment Modalities to Support Soft Tissue Repair
- Provide Sports Massage Techniques to Prevent and Manage Injury.
The unit components include:
- management of injuries
- soft tissue mobilisation
- postural analysis
- range of movement tests
- active, passive and resistive stretches
- stretching and rehabilitative exercises
- advanced massage techniques
- soft tissue release
- trigger points.
Whilst studying you will both give and receive massages so please be prepared; this is a practical, hands-on course.
The course will be be assessed in the following ways:
- ongoing practical assessments and oral questioning
- a completed log book which details sports massage treatments on five clients with evidence of consultations and assessments
- final practical exam with oral questioning
- written assignment: Treatment Modalities to Support Soft Tissue Repair.
You will also accumulate a portfolio of evidence of learning, a useful tool for later reference.
Candidates must hold a recognised Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage qualification. We will ask you to provide a copy of your qualification when you apply.
Candidates must also have good health, since the course involves a practical component. A sporting background is advantageous as well.
Due to the amount of information covered in the course home studies of approximately five hours per week will be required.
We also offer the Level 2 Award in Infection Prevention (COVID-19) for Complementary Therapies and Sports Massage. This course is available to study online, see here for details.
Upon successful completion of this module you will be awarded an ITEC Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage.
Select a course
Please select which course you would like to book on to:
For more information about this course please contact the Short Courses Team:
Telephone: 020 8240 4321