Senior Lecturer - Education and Social Science
Anastasia obtained her PhD in Special and Inclusive Education from the UCL Institute of Education, University College London, a master’s degree in Special Education (Inclusion and Disability Studies) (UCL Institute of Education, University College London), a master’s degree in Education-Teaching English as a Foreign Language (University of Bristol-UK), as well as a degree in Education (BEd with QTS) (University of Cyprus). From 2006- 2010 she was a Senior Lecturer in Inclusive Practice and Education at University of Roehampton, London and from October 2010-December 2016 Assistant Professor at European University Cyprus.
Her research interests are focused on Inclusive/ Special Education Policy and Practice, Sociology of Education (Policy Sociology), Cross-Cultural and Cross-Disciplinary research on Inclusive Education, Critical Disability Studies, Teacher Education (Leadership for Social Justice and Inclusion), Critical Discourse Analysis
She has been involved in projects funded by the Teacher Development Agency (TDA) and other European organisations. She has also been a research collaborator of the Academic Network of Disability Experts (ANED) that supports the European Commission by providing independent scientific advice, analysis and information on EU and national disability policies and legislation
- SEBD & Behaviour Management
- Introduction to Leadership and Management
- Health Promotion and Well-being in Learning Contexts
Anastasia is particularly interested in ‘policy sociology’ and the ways in which inclusive education policymaking processes and outcomes can be analysed through sociological and philosophical lenses. She draws on an eclectic interdisciplinary theoretical framework to analyse the complex process of education policymaking; the aim being to contribute to current debates regarding the ways in which the critical dimension of policy studies can facilitate the process of transformative change towards inclusion.
Anastasia is interested in supervising PhD students on the following areas:
- Inclusive (Special) Education Policy and Practice
- Sociology of Education
- Inclusive Leadership
- Critical Disability Studies
- Qualitative research including Critical Discourse Analysis
- Editorial board member of and reviewer for “International Studies in Sociology of Education”
Selected articles in peer-refereed journals
- Liasidou A and Mavrou, K.(2017) Disability Rights in Higher Education Programs: The case of medical schools and other health-related disciplines. Social Science and Medicine, 191, 143-150.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.09.009
- Liasidou, A and Symeou, L (2016) Neoliberal versus Social Justice Reforms in Education Policy and Practice: Discourses, Politics and Disability Rights. Critical Studies in Education DOI: 10.1080/17508487.2016.1186102
- Liasidou,A (2016): Disabling discourses and human rights law: a case study based on the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities, Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 37(1), 149-162
- Liasidou,A (2016): Discourse, power interplays and ‘disordered identities’: an intersectional framework for analysis and policy development, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties, 21(2), 228-240
- Liasidou, A and Antoniou, A (2015) Head teachers’ leadership for social justice and inclusion. School Leadership and Management DOI: 10.1080/13632434.2015.1010499
- Liasidou, A (2014) Critical Disability Studies and Socially Just Change in Higher Education. British Journal of Special Education, 41 (2), pages 120–135
- Liasidou, A (2014): The cross-fertilization of critical race theory and Disability Studies: points of convergence/ divergence and some education policy implications, Disability & Society, 29(5) 724-737
- Liasidou, A & Svensson, C (2014): Educating leaders for social justice: the case of special educational needs coordinators, International Journal of Inclusive Education, 18(8) 783-797
- Liasidou, A (2013): Intersectional understandings of disability and implications for a social justice reform agenda in education policy and practice, Disability & Society, 28(3) 299-312
- Liasidou, A (2013) Bilingual and special educational needs in inclusive classrooms: Some critical and pedagogical considerations. Support for Learning, 28(2), 11-16
- Liasidou, A and Antoniou, A.(2013) A special teacher for a special child? (Re)considering the role of the special education teacher within the context of an inclusive education reform agenda. European Journal of Special Needs Education 28(4) 494-506
- Liasidou, A and Antoniou, A (2014) Educating leaders within the context of an inclusive education reform agenda. International Journal for Cross-Disciplinary Subjects in Education (IJCDSE),5,(3), 1771-1776
- Liasidou,A (2012) Inclusive education and critical pedagogy at the intersections of disability, race, gender and class. Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies, 10, 1, 168-184
- Liasidou A. (2011) Special Education Policymaking; A discursive analytic approach Educational Policy, 25(6) 887–907
- Liasidou, A (2010) Special Educational Needs; A Public issue. International Studies in Sociology of Education, 20 (3), 225-239
- Liasidou, A (2009). Critical Policy Research and Special Education Policymaking: A Policy Trajectory Approach. Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies, 7(1), 107-130
- Liasidou, A. (2008) Critical Discourse Analysis and Inclusive Educational Policymaking: The power to exclude, Journal of Education Policy, 13(5), 483-500
- Liasidou A. (2008) Politics of inclusive education policy-making; The case of Cyprus, International Journal of Inclusive Education, 12 (3), 229-241.
- Liasidou, A. (2007) Inclusive Education Policies and the feasibility of educational change: the case of Cyprus, International Studies in Sociology of Education , 17 (4).329-347
- Liasidou A (2005) Cross-cultural perspectives on human rights and inclusive education policies. Mediterranean Journal of Educational Studies, 10, 97-114.
- Liasidou, A (2015) Inclusive Education and the issue of Change: Theory, Policy and Pedagogy. London: Palgrave Macmillan ISBN 978-1-137-33370-4 (200 pages)
- Liasidou, A. (2012) Inclusive Education, Politics and Policymaking. London: Continuum ISBN: 9781441157393 (159 pages)
Chapters in edited collections
- Liasidou, A. and Svensson, C (2011) Theorizing educational change within the context of inclusion In Cornwall, J. and Graham-Matheson, L (Ed) Leading on Inclusion: Dilemmas, Debates and New Perspectives: London: Routledge
- Liasidou, A. (2013) 'Unequal power relations and inclusive education policy making: a discursive analytic approach'. In M. Murphy (ed), Social theory and education research, volume 1: Inequality, inclusion and education, pp. 107-124. London: Sage.
- Liasidou, A (2017) Review 3 (Practicing Disability Studies in Education: Acting toward Social Change, edited by D. J. Connor, J. W. Valle and C. Hale, New York, NY, Peter Lang Publishing), European Journal of Special Needs Education, 32:2, 291-294, DOI: 10.1080/08856257.2017.1294674
- Liasidou, A. (2016) Rev of Kiuppis, F and Hausstatter, R.S (Eds) Inclusive Education Twenty years after Salamanca. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2014, 374pp, European Journal of Special Needs Education, 31 (2), 289-296
- Liasidou A ( 2014 ) Reflections on Researching Disability. Rev. of Symeonidou, S., & Beauchamp-Pryor, K. (Eds.). (2013). Researching disability: purpose, process and future directions. London: Sense Publishers. Italian Journal of Disability Studies 2(1), 203-209
Reviewed reports (ANED-Academic Network of Disability Experts)
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2017). ANED 2017 Task: European Semester 2016/2017 Country fiche on disability.September 2017`Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2016). ANED 2016 Task 5: ANED Country report on Social Protection and Article 28. January 2016.
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2015). ANED 2015 Task: European Semester 2015/2016 country fiche on disability. December 2015
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2014). ANED 2014 Task 5: Country fiche on Disability-Cyprus. December 2 014, EU, Available online at http://www.disability-europe.net/content/aned/media/ANED%202014%20-%20Task%205%20-%20CY%20-%20final.doc
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2014). ANED 2014 Task 4: Accessibility of Healthcare. December 2014, EU, Available online at http://www.disability-europe.net/content/aned/media/ANED%202014%20-%20Task%204%20-%20CY%20-%20final.doc
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2014). ANED 2014 Task 3: Accessibility to Healthcare. November 2014, EU, Available online at http://www.disability-europe.net/content/aned/media/ANED%202014%20-%20Task%203%20-%20CY%20-%20final.doc
- Liasidou, A. and Mavrou, K. (2013). ANED 2013 Task 5: Input to the 2014 European Semester process. November 2013, EU
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2013). ANED 2013 Tasks 3 & 4 : Country reports on citizenship and political participation - Cyprus. October 2013, EU. Available online at http://www.disability-europe.net/content/aned/media/ANED%202013%20Task%203%264%20-%20CY%20-%20FINAL.doc
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2013). ANED 2013 Task 5: Annual Growth Survey briefing note - Cyprus. January 2013, EU.
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2012). ANED 2012 Task 5A: Progress and barriers to achieving the EU2020 targets and National Reform Programmes – Cyprus. March 2012, EU.
- Mavrou, K. and Liasidou, A. (2012). ANED 2012 Task 4: National Accessibility Report - Cyprus. June 2012, EU. Available online at http://www.disability-europe.net/content/aned/media/ANED%202012%20-%20CY%20-%20Task%204%20-%20National%20Accessibility%20Report%20FINAL.doc