André Azevedo Alves holds a PhD in Political Science from the London School of Economics, an MA in Political Science from the Catholic University of Portugal and a BA in Economics from the University of Porto. He is currently a Lecturer at the Catholic University of Portugal's Institute for Political Studies where he is also the Coordinator of the Institute's Research Centre. Previously, he was a member of the Steering Committee of the MPA programme at the Catholic University of Portugal at Porto (2010-2013), Assistant Professor at University of Aveiro (2009-2012) and a member of the Political Science and Political Economy Group at the LSE (2006-2009).
He was Visiting Professor at Rio de Janeiro State University in November 2011 and at Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil) in October 2012, and Visiting Scholar at King's College London in May 2015. Since December 2015, he has been an affiliate of the Benedict XVI Centre for the Study of Religion and Society at St Mary's University.
- Political economy
- Public policy analysis
- Political philosophy
- The Salamanca School (with JM Moreira), Bloomsbury, 2013.
- “Vitoria, the Common Good and the Limits of Political Power” in JM Beneyto and JC Varela (eds.) At the Origins of Modernity: Francisco de Vitoria and the Discovery of International Law, Springer, 2017, 63-75.
- “Scarcity, Economics and Morality: the Contribution of the Late Iberian Scholastics” (with PG Moreira) in E Leontjeva, A Vaine, and M Vysniauskaite (eds.) The Phenomenon of Scarcity: Being, Man and Society, Lithuanian Culture Research Institute, 2016, 184-199.
- "Academic staff quality in higher education: an empirical analysis of Portuguese public administration education" (with CS Sarrico), Higher Education 71 (2), 2016, 143-162.
- "No Salvation through Constitutions: Jasay versus Buchanan and Rawls", The Independent Review, 20 (1), 2015, pp. 33-46.
- "Hayek's Slippery Slope: The Stability of the Mixed Economy and the Dynamics of Rent Seeking" (with J Meadowcroft), Political Studies 62 (4), 2014, pp. 843–861.
- "In the eye of the storm: Portugal and the European crisis" in Portugal in the European Union, Routledge, 2014, pp. 209-217.
- "Virtue and Commerce in Domingo de Soto's Thought: Commercial Practices, Character and the Common Good" (with JM Moreira), Journal of Business Ethics 113 (4), 2013, pp. 627-638.
- "Business Ethics in the School of Salamanca" (with JM Moreira), in Handbook of the Philosophical Foundations of Business Ethics, Springer, 2013, pp. 207-225
André has served as referee for several international conferences, journals and publishers, including Oxford University Press and Springer, and is a member of the editorial board of the journals Economic Affairs (UK) and MISES: Revista Interdisciplinar de Filosofia, Direito e Economia (Brazil). He was a member of Conselho Nacional de Ciência e Tecnologia, an advisory council of the Portuguese government on matters of science and technology, between 2012 and 2015, and since 2011 has been a member of the Mont Pelerin Society.