About Research Media
Charlie is a Reader of Applied Sports and Exercise Science at St Mary's in the Faculty of Sport, Health and Applied Science. He is also an Honorary Associate Professor at UCL (ISEH).
Professionally Charlie started out as a research assistant for the British Olympic Association based at Northwick Park Hospital and funded by the English Institute of Sport (EIS). He has held positions as London Region Lead Physiologist at the EIS (primary sport: British Athletics) and Lead Physiologist at Orreco. Charlie was the Director of the Centre for Health, Applied Sport and Exercise Science at St Mary’s between 2009 and 2015. Charlie is currently partially seconded to Orreco where he is the Chief Scientific Officer.
Whilst embedded in high performance sport Charlie completed his PhD at Brunel University in 2007 entitled 'Sleep and Exercise during Acclimation and Acclimatisation to Moderate Altitude in Elite Athletes', which involved a combination of field data collected during moderate altitude training camps and laboratory data, investigating responses to altitude in the GB national squads for Speedskating, Biathlon, Rowing, Kayaking and Athletics.
He has a keen interest in the application of scientific research to the training of elite athletes, and as such has been involved in the preparation of elite athletes for international competition. Charlie’s specialist areas include: altitude and environmental physiology, sleep, the Female Athlete, the application of biomarkers to optimise performance in pro athletes. He has attended many international training camps across the world as a team physiologist, many of them at moderate altitude destinations. He currently works with professional athletes in the NBA, NHL, PGA Golf, English Premier League and F1. In 2019, Charlie was a member of the Gatorade Sport Science Institute’s Expert Panel.
Charlie is an experienced research leader and has held the position of Academic Director of Research in the School of Sport, Health and Applied Science. He was the Unit 26 (Sport and Exercise, Leisure and Tourism) lead for the REF2014 and submitted to both the RAE2008 and REF2014. He has a growing list of PhD completions. In 2016 and 2017 Charlie undertook a 2-year research sabbatical at the Cardiovascular Performance Program and Massachusetts General Hospital (Harvard Medical School), conducting research into the cardiovascular adaptations to marathon running.
Predominantly Charlie's research funding has come from the Sport and Exercise Science and Medicine Industry and he is currently generating on-going funding from Orreco and Southampton FC. He has previously received funding from parkrun, SCA (Bodyform), National Physical Laboratory, in addition to funds raised through the delivery of sport and exercise science services at St Mary's.
Charlie is co-organiser of Marathon Medicine, the Virgin London Marathon’s conference on the Science and Medicine of Endurance Running.
2014 BASES Applied Practitioner Award: “The award acknowledges outstanding and innovative service delivery in sport and/or exercise science by BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientists.”
- Catherine Graham (St Mary’s University) “Parental and Child Overweight Based on Lifestyle and Genetic Factors” Completed 2019
- Dr Georgie Bruinvels(University College London) "Women in sport: Iron deficiency" Completed 2018
- Dr Leta Pilic (St Mary’s University) “Genetics of salt sensitivity” Completed 2017
- Nathan Lewis (English Institute of Sport/Orreco/St Mary's University) "Redox status of the elite athlete." Completed 2016
- Dr Jessica Hill(St Mary's University) "The efficacy of compression garments on recovery from exercise induced muscle damage" Completed 2015
- Dani Muniz(St Mary's University) "Anaerobic capacity measurement" Completed 2015
- Dr Richard Burden(St Mary’s University/English Institute of Sport) "The Effects of Iron Deficiency and Iron Repletion in the Endurance Athlete." Completed 2014
- Dr Ben Holliss (British Swimming) "Physiological and performance adaptations to altitude and hypoxic training." Completed 2013 (University of Exeter)
- Freddy Brown (St Mary's University) "Recovery strategies in elite athletes: compression"
- Diarmuid Daniels (National University of Ireland, Galway) “Redox and inflammation in athletes and cancer patients”
- Forrest Baker (University of Houston, USA) “Immune function in professional athletes”
- Joe Shaw (St Mary’s University and the Royal Ballet Company) “Workload quantification in professional ballet”
- Adam Mattiussi (St Mary’s University and the Royal Ballet Company) “Energy Dissipation in Elite Professional Ballet Dancers”
- Luke Edinborough (St Mary’s University and Southampton FC) “Cryotherapy and sleep in professional soccer”
- Lewis N A, Simpkin A J, Moseley S, Turner G, Homer M, Redgrave A, Pedlar CR and Burden R (2019) Increased Oxidative Stress in Injured and Ill Elite International Olympic Rowers. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. In Press
- Pedlar C, Newell J and Lewis N (2019) Blood biomarker testing for high performance physiology and nutrition: current perspectives, limitations and recommendations. Sports Medicine. In Press
- Blagrove R C, Howatson G, Pedlar C R and Hayes P R (2019) Quantification of aerobic determinants of performance in post-pubertal adolescent middle-distance runners. European Journal of Applied Physiology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31209572
- Burden R, Pedlar CR and Lewis NA (2019) Biomarkers in Elite sport: Where Innovations in technology and application combine. Editorial. Experimental Physiology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30614574
- Liddle L, Burleigh M C, Monaghan C, Muggeridge D J, Sculthorpe N, Pedlar C R, Butcher J, Henriquez F L and Easton C (2019) Intra-individual variability in nitrate-reducing oral bacteria and nitric oxide metabolites following dietary nitrate administration: an assessment of the critical difference. Nitric Oxide. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30528912
- Rooney B, Bigley A, LaVoy E, Laughlin M, Pedlar C and Simpson R J (2018) Lymphocytes and monocytes egress peripheral blood within minutes after cessation of steady state exercise. Physiology & Behavior. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29885920
- Burden R and Pedlar CR (2018) Understanding Iron Deficiency and Exercise: Looking Beyond Ferritin. Editorial. Acta Haematologica, 139(3), pp. 138 – 184 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29621767
- Blagrove R, Howatson G, Cushion E, Hayes P and Pedlar C. (2018) Strength training improves running economy in adolescent distance runners. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29315164
- Pedlar C, Bruinvels G, Brugnara C and Burden R (2018) Invited review: Iron Balance and Iron Supplementation for the Female Athlete, a Practical Approach. European Journal of Sports Science, 18(2), pp. 295 – 305 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29280410
- Pedlar C, Brown M, Shave R, Otto J, Drane A, Finch J M, Contursi M, Wasfy M, Hutter A, Picard M H, Lewis G D and Baggish A (2018). Cardiovascular response to prescribed exercise detraining among recreational marathon runners. Journal of Applied Physiology, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29212672
- Papadimitriou ID, Lockey SJ, Voisin S, Herbert AJ, Garton F, Cieszczyk P, Houweling PJ, Maciejewska A, Sawczuk M, Massidda M, Calò CM, Astratenkova IV, Kouvatsi A, Druzhevskaya, A, Jacques M, Ahmetov II, Stebbings G, Heffernan S, Day SH, Erskine R, Pedlar C, Kipps C, North KN, Williams AG, Eynon N (2017) No association between ACTN3 R577X and ACE I/D polymorphisms and endurance running times in 698 Caucasian athletes. BMC Genomics 19(1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29298672/
- Wang G, Durussel J, Shurlock J, Mooses M, Fuku N, Bruinvels G, Pedlar C, Burden R, Murray A, Yee B, Keenan A, McClure J D, Sottas P-E, Pitsiladis Y (2017) Validation of whole-blood transcriptome signature during microdose recombinant human erythropoietin (rHuEpo) administration. BMC Genomics 18(8), p. 817 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29143667
- Brown F, Gissane C, Howatson G, van Someren K, Pedlar C and Hill J (2017) Compression garments and recovery from exercise – a meta-analysis. Sports Medicine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28434152
- Lewis N, Redgrave A, Homer M, Burden R, Martinson W, Moore B and Pedlar C (2017) Case study of an athlete with Unexplained Underperformance Syndrome. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance.http://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/pdf/10.1123/ijspp.2016-0777
- Hill J, Howatson G, van Someren K and Pedlar C. (2017) The effects of compression garment pressure on recovery from strenuous exercise. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28051341
- Towey C, Easton C, Simpson R, and Pedlar C. (2017) Conventional and novel body temperature measurement during moderate intensity exercise in the heat. Journal of Thermal Biology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28010810
- Muniz-Pumares D, Godfrey R, Pedlar Cand Glaister M. (2016) A comparison of methods to estimate anaerobic capacity: Accumulated oxygen deficit and W’ during constant and all-out work-rate profiles. Journal of Sports Sciences, Available here.
- Pilic L, Pedlar Cand Mavrommatis Y (2016) Salt sensitive hypertension: mechanisms and effects of dietary and other lifestyle factors. Nutrition Reviews. Available here.
- Lewis N, Howatson G, Towey C, Bruinvels G and Pedlar C(2016) The effects of exercise on alterations in redox homeostasis in elite male and female endurance athletes using a clinical point of care test. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism. Available here.
- Muniz-Pumares D, Godfrey R, Pedlar Cand Glaister M (2016) Accumulated oxygen deficit during exercise to exhaustion determined at different supramaximal work-rates. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. Available here.
- Bruinvels G, Burden R, McGregor A, Ackerman K, Dooley M, Richards T and Pedlar C(2016) Sport, exercise and the menstrual cycle: where is the research? Editorial. British Journal of Sports Medicine. Available here.
- Muniz-Pumares D, Pedlar C,Godfrey R and Glaister M (2015) The effect of the oxygen uptake-power output relationship on the prediction of supramaximal oxygen demands. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, In Press http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26564270
- Bruinvels G, Richards T, Burden R, Brown N and Pedlar C(2015) The prevalence and impact of heavy menstrual bleeding amongst athletes and mass start runners of the 2015 London Marathon. Letter to the Editor. British Journal of Sports Medicine.
- Lewis N, Rogers J, Collins D and Pedlar C(2015) Can clinicians and scientists explain and prevent unexplained underperformance syndrome in elite athletes: An inter-disciplinary perspective and 2016 update. BMJ Open: Sport and Exercise http://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000063.abstract
- Hill J, van Someren K, Howatson G and Pedlar C(2015) The variation in pressures exerted by commercially available compression garments. Sports Engineering.
- Burden R, Pollock N, Whyte G, Richards T, Moore B, Busbridge M, Srai S K, Otto J and Pedlar C (2015) Impact of intravenous iron on aerobic capacity and iron metabolism in elite athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.
- Burden R, Morton K, Richards R, Whyte G and Pedlar C(2015) Is iron treatment beneficial in, iron-deficient but non-anaemic (IDNA) endurance athletes? A systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Sports Medicine, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25361786
- Lewis N, Morton K, Hill J, Howatson G and Pedlar C(2015) Alterations in redox homeostasis in the elite endurance athlete. Sports Medicine, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25319354
- Newell J, Korir P, Moore B and Pedlar C(2014) Lactate-OR app for the calculation of blood lactate markers (Letter to the Editor). Journal of Sports Sciences, (17) 1-2 (e-pub ahead of print) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25230148
- Hill J, Howatson G, van Someren K, Walshe I and Pedlar C(2014) The influence of compression garments on recovery following marathon running. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24714530
- Holliss B, Burden R, Jones A and Pedlar C(2014) Eight weeks of intermittent hypoxic training improves physiological responses to submaximal exercise in elite male distance runners. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24513622
- Muggeridge D, Howe C, Spendiff O, Pedlar C, James P and Easton C (2014) A single dose of beetroot juice enhances cycling performance in normobaric hypoxia. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 46(1):143-50. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23846159
- Morton K, Joyce L, Saunders L, Prothero A, Beauchamp M, Spencer-Bowdage S, Dancy B and Pedlar C(2014) The effectiveness of motivational interviewing for health behaviour change in primary care settings: A systematic review. Health Psychology Reviews, DOI:10.1080/17437199.2014.882006 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17437199.2014.882006
- Muggeridge D, Howe C, Spendiff O, Pedlar C, James P and Easton C. (2013) A single dose of beetroot juice enhances cycling performance in normobaric hypoxia. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, In Press. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23846159
- Hill J, Howatson G, van Someren K, Leeder J and Pedlar C(2013) Compression garments and recovery from exercise-induced muscle damage: A meta-analysis. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 47(9) DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2013-092456. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23757486
- Muggeridge D, Howe C, Spendiff O, Pedlar C, James P, and Easton C (2013) The effects of a single dose of concentrated beetroot juice on performance in trained flatwater kayakers. International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism,23(5) pp. 498 – 506. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23580456
- Lahart I, Lane A, Hulton A, Williams K, Godfrey R, Pedlar C, Wilson M and Whyte G (2013) Challenges in Maintaining Emotion Regulation in a Sleep and Energy Deprived State Induced by the 4800km Ultra-Endurance Bicycle Race; the Race across AMerica (RAAM) Journal of Sports Science and Medicine,(12) pp. 481-488. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24149155
- Pedlar C, Burden R, Whyte G, Moore B, Horgan G and Pollock N. (2013) A case study of an iron deficient female Olympic 1500m runner. International Journal of Sports Performance and Physiology, 8(6), pp. 695 – 698. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23436684
- Holliss B, Fulford J, Vanhatalo A, Pedlar Cand Jones A. (2013) Influence of intermittent hypoxic training on muscle energetics and exercise tolerance. Journal of Applied Physiology, 114 (5), 611-619. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23305980
- Leeder J, Pedlar C, Glaister M, McDonald K and Dawson J (2012) Sleep duration and quality in elite athletes measured using wristwatch actigraphy. Journal of Sports Sciences,30(6):541-5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22329779
- Glaister M, Patterson S D, Foley P, Pedlar C, Pattison J R and McInnes G (2012) Caffeine and sprinting performance: dose responses and efficacy. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26(4), pp. 1001 – 1005. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22388491
2005 - 2010
- Hulton A, Lahart I, Williams K, Godfrey R, Charlesworth S, Wilson M, Pedlar C, Whyte G (2010) Energy Expenditure in the Race across America (RAAM) International Journal of Sports Medicine, 31, pp. 463 – 467
- Pollock N, Pedlar C, Morrissey D, Perry M, Grogan C, Dimitriou, L (2010) Bone mineral density and other features of the female athlete triad in elite endurance runners. International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism, 20, pp. 418 – 426
- Pedlar C, Whyte G and Godfrey R (2008) Pre-acclimation to exercise in normobaric hypoxia. European Journal of Sport Science, 8(1), pp. 15 – 21
- Ingham S A, Pedlar C, Dunman N, Bailey DB, Whyte GP, and Nevill AM (2008) Identifying the optimal determinants of elite 800m and 1500m running performance using proportional allometric models. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 40(2), pp. 345 – 350
- Pedlar C, Lane A, Lloyd J, Dawson J, Emegbo S, Whyte G and Stanley N (2007) Sleep profiles and mood states during an expedition to the South Pole. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine,18(2), pp. 127 – 132
- Pedlar C, Whyte G, Emegbo S, Stanley N, Hindmarch I and Godfrey R (2005). Acute sleep responses in a normobaric hypoxic tent. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise,37: pp. 1075 – 1079
- Pedlar C, Howatson G, Whyte G P, Godfrey R J, Macutkiewicz D (2005) Simulating moderate altitude using normobaric hypoxia with commercially available hypoxic gas generators. High Altitude Medicine and Biology,6(4): pp. 346 – 347
- Godfrey R J, Ingham S A, Pedlar C R and Whyte G P (2005) The detraining and retraining of an elite rower: a case study. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport,8(3), pp. 314 – 20
- Pedlar C(2004) Altitude and endurance training (Commentary). Journal of Sports Sciences, 22: pp. 928 – 945
Selected conference proceedings
- Bruinvels G, Pedlar C, Burden R, Butcher A, Chau M, Cushway T and Richards T (2017) The impact of heavy menstrual bleeding and iron status on fatigue in menstruating women. American Journal of Haematology 92(8), p. E389
- BioIron 2017, May 7 – 11, 2017, UCLA Meyer & Renee Luskin Conference Center | Los Angeles, USA
- Bruinvels G, Pedlar C, Burden R, Brown N, Butcher A, Chau M, Richards T (2017) IRONWOMAN TRIAL: The impact of intravenous iron on exercise performance in iron deficient, exercising women. American Journal of Hematology 92(8), p. E388. BioIron 2017, May 7 – 11, 2017, UCLA Meyer & Renee Luskin Conference Center | Los Angeles, USA
- Pedlar C, Higgins J M, Brown M, Shave R, Michaud-Finch J, Otto J, Chaudhury A, Burden R, Moore B, Brugnara C, Baggish A. Haematological Responses to Detraining Following the Boston Marathon. 2017 ACSM Annual Meeting, Denver, USA http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2017/05001/Haematological_Responses_to_Detraining_Following.974.aspx
- Allison S J, Anton-Solanas A, van Someren K A, Sirisena D, Ackerman K E, Pedlar C. Sclerostin and Biomarkers of Bone Health, Energy and Vitamin D Status in Elite Male Athletes. 2017 ACSM Annual Meeting, Denver, USA http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2017/05001/Sclerostin_And_Biomarkers_Of_Bone_Health,_Energy.1423.asp
- Parziale A L, Bruinvels G, Richards T, Pedlar C R, Ackerman K E. The Prevalence and Impact of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Among Exercising Women. Abstract. 2017 ACSM Annual Meeting, Denver, USA. http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/fulltext/2017/05001/The_Prevalence_and_Impact_of_Heavy_Menstrual.2070.aspx
- Lewis A, Burden R, Bruinvels G, Cheeseman J, Pickering S, Price C, Currell K, Bartu J, Howatson G, Pedlar C R. The Effect of Blackcurrant Polyphenols on Recovery and Performance in Elite Endurance Athletes in Preparation for the World Championships. 2017 ACSM Annual Meeting, Denver, USA. http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2017/05001/The_Effect_Of_Blackcurrant_Polyphenols_On_Recovery.2729.aspx
- Rooney B, Bigley A, LaVoy E, Laughlin M, Pedlar Cand Simpson R (2017) Human lymphocytes egress peripheral blood within minutes after cessation of acute dynamic exercise. PsychoNeuroImmunology Research Society (PNIRS) Annual Meeting, Texas
- Bruinvels G, Burden R, Cushway T, Brown N, Pedlar C and Richards T (2017) The impact of heavy menstrual bleeding and iron status in exercising females. IOC World Conference on Prevention of Injury & Illness in Sport, Monaco http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/4/304.1
- Pedlar, C.,Brown, M., Otto, J., Drane, A., Finch, J.M., Contursi, M., Shave, R., Wasfy, M., Hutter, A. and Baggish, A., 2017. TEMPORAL SEQUENCE OF ATHLETE'S HEART REGRESSION DURING PRESCRIBED EXERCISE DETRAINING: DIAGNOSTIC IMPLICATIONS. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 69(11), p.1414. E-poster link here
- Burden RJ, Higgins J, Whyte GP, Pedlar CR.Modelling Red Cell Population Dynamics and Iron Status in Elite Endurance Athletes: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016 May;48(5 Suppl 1):366. ACSM, Boston; ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27360303
- Hill, J. A., Howatson, G., Van Someren, K., & Pedlar, C.(2015). A Comparison Of High And Low Grade Compression Garments On Recovery From Damaging Exercise: Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 47(5S), 780. ACSM, San Diego
- Burden, R. J., Pollock, N., Richards, T., Whyte, G. P., & Pedlar, C. R.(2015). A Case Study Of 5 Elite Runners: Ferritin Does Not Identify Iron Deficiency In Non-anaemic Athletes: Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 47(5S), 803-804. ACSM, San Diego
- Pedlar C,Rogers J and Bruinvels G (2015) Biomarkers of health and performance in elite female athletes. Female Athlete Conference, Boston Children’s Hospital Sports Medicine Division, USA
- Burden R, Pollock N, Whyte G, Richards T, Moore B, Srai K, Busbridge M, Otto J andPedlar C (2014) The effect of intra-venous iron treatment on aerobic capacity and iron metabolism in elite distance runners. Abstract. Journal of Sports Sciences BASES Annual Conference, St George’s Park, UK
- Hill J, Howatson G, van Someren K, Davidson S and Pedlar C(2014) Pressures exerted by commercially available lower limb compression garments. Abstract. British Journal of Sports Medicine 48(608). doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2014-093494.131 IOC World Conference on Prevention of Injury & Illness in Sport, Monaco
- Catterson P, Moore B, Hodgson A, Lewis N, Newell J and Pedlar C(2014) A case study of two premiership footballers with sickle cell trait using novel tests of redox homeostasis. Abstract. British Journal of Sports Medicine 48(57). doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2014-093494.47 IOC World Conference on Prevention of Injury & Illness in Sport, Monaco
- Pedlar C, Burden R, Whyte G, Moore B and Pollock N (2012) A case study of an iron deficient female Olympic 1500m runner. Abstract. ICSEMIS/BASES pre-Olympic conference, Glasgow.
- Pedlar C, Burden R, Hill J and Whyte G (2011) Physiological responses to simulated anti-gravity during treadmill running. Abstract. ACSM Annual Conference, Denver, USA
- Pedlar C, Godfrey R and Whyte G (2009) The effect of sleeping in a normobaric hypoxic [simulated altitude] tent for one week upon sleep quality. Abstract. ACSM Annual Conference, Seattle, USA
- Pedlar C, van Someren K, Gamble D and Howatson G (2008) The effect of normobaric hypoxia [simulated altitude] upon lactate parameters during running. Abstract. Journal of Sports Sciences, 26(S2)
- Pedlar C, Burton G, Whyte G and Godfrey R (2006) Exercise response to training in sprint kayakers during acclimatisation to 1850m altitude. Abstract. BASES Annual Conference, University of Wolverhampton
- Pedlar C, Dickinson J, van Someren K, Whyte G and Godfrey R(2006) The acute exhaled nitric oxide response and 5km performance in normobaric hypoxia [altitude] in highly trained athletes. Abstract. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 38(5), S527
- Pedlar C, Whyte G P, Dawson J, Emegbo S and Macutkiewicz D (2005) Identifying individual responses to moderate altitude amongst elite GB speedskaters. Abstract. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 37(5), p. S469
- Pedlar, C., Whyte, G., Dawson, J., Emegbo, S. and Stanley, N.(2002) Sleep characteristics in acute normobaric hypoxia [simulated altitude] in recreational athletes. Abstract. High Altitude Medicine and Biology, 3(4), p. 436
- Pedlar, C.and Whyte, G.P. (2003) A comparison of running performance parameters in hypoxia [simulated altitude] vs. normoxia. Abstract. Journal of Sports Sciences, 21(4), p. 329
Other selected publications
- Pedlar, Whyte, Hardman, Kreindler and Levine (2011) BASES Expert Statement: Human Performance in Hypoxia Inducing Environments: Natural and Simulated Altitude. The Sport and Exercise Scientist
Chapters in edited books
- Pedlar Cand Earle J (2016) Chapter 5: Training and Racing. In Brewer J. Running Science. University of Chicago Press. http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/R/bo26171551.html
- Pedlar Cand Whyte G (2016) Performing in Extreme Environments. Chapter in: Jeffreys, I and Moody, J Strength and Conditioning for Sports Performance. Oxford: Routledge, UK
- Lloyd J, Pedlar C, Lane A and Whyte G (2006) Mood state changes during an expedition to the South Pole: A case study of a female explorer. In: Lane A.M. Mood and human performance, conceptual, measurement and applied issues. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Expert perspective: 'Dr Charles Pedlar on training elite runners with speed and distance technology'. In: McGregor S and Fitzgerald M (2010) The runners edge: high tech training for peak performance. Human Kinetics, Leeds, UK.
- Pedlar C(2014) Live high (2000m), train low (1050m), in short-track speedskating. Chapter in: Whyte G, Godfrey R and Lane A, Case studies in applied sports science and medicine, a multi-disciplinary perspective. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; http://www.amazon.com/Case-Studies-Sport-Science-Medicine/dp/1499146949/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
- Pedlar C (2014) Commentary: In: Whyte G, Godfrey R and Lane A, Case studies in applied sports science and medicine, a multi-disciplinary perspective. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; http://www.amazon.com/Case-Studies-Sport-Science-Medicine/dp/1499146949/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
In the news
St Mary’s University, Twickenham is pleased to announce a three-year extension to its partnership with The Royal Ballet Company and The Royal Ballet School to deliver Sport Science and Strength and Conditioning support services to these highly prestigious and world-renowned dance organisations. Find out more...
Researchers at St Mary’s University, Twickenham are looking for women to have their say and a chance to help drive forward research and exercise performance.
Find out more...
Academics from St Mary’s University, Twickenham gave two lectures at the Female Athlete Health Conference in Boston. Find out more...
Academic Director for Research at St Mary’s University, Twickenham Dr Charles Pedlar has been awarded the BASES Applied Practitioner Award for 2015. Find out more...
Staff from St Mary’s University, Twickenham are to present their research at the annual British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences conference. Find out more...
For media enquiries, please contact our Communications and Public Engagement Manager, Sam Yarnold, by emailling firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 8240 8262.