Dr Gherardo Girardi
Prior to joining St Mary's, Gherardo Girardi lectured in economics at London Metropolitan University for over a decade. He holds a PhD(Econ), MSc(Econ) and BSc(Econ) from the London School of Economics and Political Science. He also has an MA in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education from London Metropolitan University, in which he obtained a distinction. He has worked as a teacher and/or researcher at various universities, including the London School of Economics, London Business School, King's College London, the University of Surrey, University of Westminster, and Universidad de las Americas Puebla (Mexico). Before being an academic, Gherardo worked as an equity derivatives analyst at Schroders (now part of Citigroup).
Gherardo's research interests are wide-ranging and include industrial economics, labour economics, attitudes towards climate change, international business strategy, teaching and learning in higher education, and theology. His research in teaching and learning has been sponsored by the Economics Network, formerly of the Higher Education Academy, of which Gherardo is a Fellow. Furthermore, Gherardo is leader of the Research Cluster in Business Ethics at St Mary's and regularly gives public talks on business ethics and Catholic social thought in the UK and abroad.
- Incorporating research findings in the economics syllabus: evidence on genuine sociality from Italy and the UK, forthcoming, Review of Social Economy, with Luca Sandoná of University of Padua
- How platforms are transforming customer information management, forthcoming, The Bottom Line, with Merlin Stone (University of St Mary), Eleni Aravopoulou (University of St Mary), Emanuela Todeva (University of St Mary), Lusia Weinzierl (University of St Mary), Paul Laughlin (Laughlin Consultancy Ltd) and Ryan Scott (IDC)
- Escaping the economist’s straightjacket: overcoming the free-rider mentality which prevents climate change from being effectively addressed, 2017, book chapter in Leal, W. (ed) Climate Change Management, special edition on Universities and Climate Change: the Role of Higher Education Institutions in Addressing the Mitigation and Adaptation Challenges", Springer
- What determines changes in attitude towards global climate change?, 2016, book chapter in Leal, W. (ed), Climate Change Management, special edition on Innovative Approaches to Implement Climate Change Adaptation, Springer
- CSR and accounting education in developing countries: the case of India, 2015, with C.Tejura of Queen Mary London; book chapter in Jamali,D., Karam,C. and Blowfield, M. (ed's ), CSR in Developing Countries: Towards a Development-Oriented Approach, Greenleaf Publishing
- Post-secular reflections on the value of the stakeholder approach in business, 2014, with F. Petito of Sussex University, Global Initiative for the Common Good Journal, 1(1)
- Second sourcing with capacity constrained firms and locked in buyers, 2013, International Journal of the Economics of Business, 20(1), 83-95
- Using cinema to enhance the relevance of economics to students' lives, 2013, book chapter in McIntosh, P. and Warren, D. (ed.'s), Creativity in the Classroom: Case Studies in Using the Arts in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Intellect Books, Bristol, UK; a shorter version appears in Investigations in University Teaching and Learning, 2007, 4(2), 106-110
- Helping students select a dissertation topic, 2012, Investigations in University Teaching and Learning, Vol. 8 (Summer), 46-52
- Transformative Economics Education: using proverbs from around the world in the classroom", 2010, Investigations in University Teaching and Learning, 6(2), 119-124
- What brings us happiness? A new approach in economics which considers the wisdom of proverbs and religions, 2007, published conference proceedings of "Happiness in Global perspective and Local Interpretations: The Implication for Alternative Development Paradigms and Public Policy" in Bangkok (Thailand), organized by the United Nations Economic and Social Committee for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) and the Thai government