Matt is a Senior Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning Science and Exercise Physiology and is technical lead in Strength and Conditioning at the Royal Ballet Company in Covent Garden, London.
Matt is a UKSCA accredited Strength and Conditioning Coach, a BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist (Physiology), a Chartered Scientist and a Fellow of the HEA. Prior to working at St Mary's, Matt worked in full time Professional Football in Applied Sport Science support roles for 12 years, working for a number of elite-level professional and national teams.
Matt's research interests include monitoring load, performance and fatigue in professional football players, and has particular interests in sports GPS technology and the immuno-endocrine responses to training. To date, Matt has achieved over £1.1 M of external consultancy and research funding.
Journal Articles (First Author)
- Springham, M., Williams, S., Waldron, M., McLellan, C & Newton, R.U. (2021). Summated Training and Match Load Predictors of Salivary Immunoglobulin-A, Alpha-Amylase, Testosterone, Cortisol and T:C Profile Changes in Elite-Level Professional Football Players: A Longitudinal Analysis. European Journal of Sport Science. https://doi.org/10.1080/17461391.2021.1949638.
- Springham M., Williams S., Waldron M, Strudwick AJ., McLellan, C & Newton RU. (2021). Salivary Immunoendocrine and Self-Report Monitoring Profiles Across an Elite-Level Professional Football Season. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 53(5): 918-927. DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000002553
- Springham, M., Williams, S., Waldron, M., Strudwick, T., McLellan, C & Newton, R.U. (2020). Prior Workload has Moderate Effects on High-Intensity Match Play Physical Performance in Elite-Level Professional Football Players when Controlling for Situational and Contextual Variables. Journal of Sports Sciences. 38(20): 2279 – 2290. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2020.1778355
- Springham, M., Williams, S., Waldron, M., Burgess, D. & Newton, R.U. (2020). Large Reductions in Match Play Physical Performance Variables Across a Professional Football Season with Control for Situational and Contextual Variables. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living. https://doi.org/10.3389/fspor.2020.570937
- Springham, M., Waldron, M., Burgess, D. & Newton, R.U. (2020). Very Large Differences in the Competitive Demands of the Major British and European Professional Football Leagues: Considerations for Team and Player Workload Management. Journal of Australian Strength and Conditioning. 28(5): 16 – 25.
- Springham, M., Walker, G., Strudwick, T. & Turner, A. (2018). Developing Strength and Conditioning Coaches for Professional Football. U. Professional Strength and Conditioning. 50: 9-16.
Journal Articles (Contributing Author)
- Shaw, J., Mattiussi, A., Brown, D.D., Springham, M., Pedlar, C. & Tallent, J. (2021). The Activity Demands and Physiological Responses Observed in Professional Ballet: A Systematic Review. The Journal of Sport and Exercise Science. (IN PRESS).
- Shaw, J., Mattiussi, A., Brown, D.D., Williams, S., Kelly, S., Springham, M., Pedlar, C. & Tallent, J. (2021). Dance Exposure, Individual Characteristics, and Injury Risk over Five Seasons in a Professional Ballet Company. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0000000000002725.
- Shaw, J., Springham, M., Brown, D.D., Mattiussi, A., Pedlar, C. & Tallent, J. (2020). The Validity of the Session Rating of Perceived Exertion Method for Measuring Internal Training Load in Professional Classical Ballet Dancers. Frontiers in Physiology. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2020.00480
- Hart, L., Cohen, D., Patterson, S., Springham, M., Reynolds, J. & Read, P. (2019). Previous Injury is Associated with Heightened Countermovement Jump Force-Time Asymmetries in Professional Soccer Players. Translational Sports Medicine. 2(5): 252-262.
- Turner, A., Bishop, C., Springham, M. & Stewart, P. (2016). Identifying readiness to train: when to push and when to pull. Professional Strength and Conditioning. 42: 9-14.
- Springham, M., Waldron, M., Burgess, D. & Newton, R. (2019). Game distribution and density differ between the Major British and European Professional Football Leagues. BASES Conference 2019 - Programme and Abstracts, Journal of Sports Sciences, 37:sup1, 1-93, DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2019.1671688.
- Springham, M., Dunbar, J., Jehanli, A. & Browne, A. (2013). Acute immuno-endocrine responses to a mid-season football match in the English Football League Championship. United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA) annual conference, Nottingham, UK.
- Dunbar, J., Springham, M., Franklin, E., Jehanli, A. & Browne, A. (2013). Investigating the use of a Point of Care cortisol test in the professional football environment. United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA) annual conference, Nottingham, UK, 2013.
Invited Conference Presentations
- Chambers, R (Welsh Rugby Union), Drawer, S (Team Sky Cycling), Smith, A (UK Sport) & Springham, M (Brentford FC). (2016). Sports Analytics Innovation Summit. Panel Session: Sport Science: Performance Analytics. London, UK.
- Springham, M & Stewart, P. (2018). Soccer. In: Turner, A. ed. The Routledge Handbook of Strength and Conditioning: Sport Specific Programming for High Performance. London: Routledge.