Matt is a Senior Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning Science and Exercise Physiology and the technical lead in Strength and Conditioning at the Royal Ballet Company in Covent Garden, London.
Matt is a UKSCA accredited Strength and Conditioning Coach, a BASES Accredited Sport and Exercise Scientist (Physiology), a Chartered Scientist and a Fellow of the HEA. Prior to working at St Mary's, Matt worked in Professional Football in Applied Sport Science support roles for ~12 years, working for several English Premier League, English Championship and English National teams.
Matt's research interests include monitoring load, performance and fatigue in professional football players, and has particular interests in sports GPS technology and the immuno-endocrine responses to training. Matt is currently completing a PhD in this arena through Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia.
- Springham, M, Waldron, M, Burgess, D & Newton, R. (2019) Competitive Demands of the Major British and European Professional Football Leagues. Journal of Sports Sciences (In Press)
- Hart, L, Cohen, D, Patterson, S, Springham, M, Reynolds, J & Read, P. (2019). Previous Injury is Associated with Heightened Countermovement Jump Force-Time Asymmetries in Professional Soccer Players. Translational Sports Medicine. In Press.
- Springham, M, Walker, G, Strudwick, A & Turner, A (2018). Developing Strength and Conditioning Coaches for Professional Football. Professional Strength and Conditioning. 50: 9-16.
- Springham, M & Stewart, P. (2018). Soccer. In: Turner, A. ed. The Routledge Handbook of Strength and Conditioning: Sport Specific Programming for High Performance. London: Routledge.
- Chambers, R (Welsh Rugby Union), Drawer, S (Team Sky Cycling), Smith, A (UK Sport) & Springham, M. (2016). Sports Analytics Innovation Summit. Panel Session: Sport Science: Performance Analytics. London, UK.
- Turner, A, Bishop, C, Springham, M & Stewart, P (2016). Identifying Real Changes in a Performance Measure of Readiness to Train. Professional Strength and Conditioning. 42: 9-14.
- Springham, M., Dunbar, J., Jehanli, A., & Browne, A. (2013). Acute immuno-endocrine responses to a mid-season football match in the English Football League Championship. Poster presented at United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA) annual conference, Nottingham, UK.
- Dunbar, J., Springham, M., Franklin, E., Jehanli, A., & Browne, A. (2013). Investigating the use of a Point of Care cortisol test in the professional football environment. Poster presented at United Kingdom Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA) annual conference, Nottingham, UK.