Dr Nicola Brown
Programme Director of Research
Nicola graduated from the University of Portsmouth in 2005 with a first class BSc (Hons) degree in Sports Science. Having developed a keen interest in health and exercise during her degree Nicola then completed a PhD at Portsmouth in the area of obesity and body composition in 2010.
Nicola is now the Programme Director of Research in the School of Sport, Health and Applied Science and is responsible for managing the Schools PhD students.
She also teaches on a number of modules on the undergraduate Health and Exercise Science programme and the postgraduate Applied Sports Nutrition programme, specialising in research methods and anthropometry. Nicola is also an accredited ISAK Level III anthropometrist delivering ISAK accredited training courses to a wide range of sport and health professionals.
Research interests in the exercising female have led to collaboration with the Research Group in Breast Health at the University of Portsmouth and the development of the Female Health and Wellbeing Research Group at St Mary's University. This has resulted in publications and conference presentations in the area of female health and exercise including breast pain and bra fit issues in exercising females, breast education of adolescent schoolgirls, and menstrual disturbances in female athletes.
Current PhD students
- Mr John Downey
- Ms Atefeh Omrani
- Mr David Silver
- Mr Matthew Wade
If you are interested in doing a PhD with Nicola, please contact her directly.
Peer Reviewed Publications
Brown, N., Smith, J., Brasher, A., Risius, D., Marczyk, A., & Wakefield-Scurr, J. (in press). Breast health education for adolescent schoolgirls: why, what, when and how? The Breast Journal.
Brown, N., Smith, J., Brasher, A., Omrani, A., & Wakefield-Scurr, J. (2017). Breast cancer education for schoolgirls: an exploratory study. European Journal of Cancer Prevention. DOI: 10.1097/CEJ.0000000000000356
Blagrove, R., Brown, N., Howatson, G., & Hayes, P. (in press). Strength and conditioning habits of competitive distance runners. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000002261
- Brown, N., & Scurr, J. (2016). Do women with smaller breasts perform better in long distance running? European Journal of Sports Science, 16(8), 965-971. DOI:10.1080/17461391.2016.1200674
- Brown, N., & Scurr, J. (2016). Breasts are getting bigger. Where is the evidence? Journal of Anthropological Sciences, 94, 237-244. DOI:10.4436/JASS.94020
- Brown, N., Burnett, E., & Scurr, J. (2016). Is breast pain greater in active females compared to the general population in the UK? The Breast Journal, 22(2), 194-201. DOI:10.1111/tbj.12547
- Risius, D., Milligan, A., Berns, J., Brown, N., & Scurr, J. (2016). Understanding key performance indicators for breast support: An analysis of breast support effects on biomechanical, physiological and subjective measures during running. Journal of Sports Sciences.DOI:10.1080/02640414.2016.1194523
- Scurr, J., Brown, N., Smith, J., Brasher, A., Risius, D., & Marczyk, A. (2016). The influence of the breast on sport and exercise participation in schoolgirls in the UK. Journal of Adolescent Health. 58(2), 167-173. DOI:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2015.10.005
- Patterson, S., Legg, H., Gibson, A-M., & Brown, N. (2016). The impact of badminton on health markers in untrained females. Journal of Sports Science. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2016.1210819
- Bruinvels, G., Burden, R., Brown, N., Richards, T., & Pedlar, C. (2016). The prevalence and impact of heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia) in elite and non-elite athletes. PLoS ONE. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0149881
- Bruinvels, G., Burden, R., Brown, N., Richards, T., & Pedlar, C. (2016). The prevalence and impact of heavy menstrual bleeding among athletes and mass start runners of the 2015 London Marathon. British Journal of Sports Medicine. DOI:10.1136/bjsports-2015-095505
- Scurr, J., Loveridge, A., Brown, N., & Mills, C. (2015). Acute changes in clinical breast measurements following bra removal: Implications for surgical practice. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery Open, 3, 22-25. DOI:10.1016/j.jpra.2015.01.002
- Brown, N., White, J., Brasher, A., & Scurr, J. (2014). An investigation into breast support and sports bra use in female runners of the 2012 London Marathon. Journal of Sports Sciences, 32(9), 801-809. DOI:10.1080/02640414.2013.844348
- Brown, N., White, J., Brasher, A., & Scurr, J. (2014). The experience of breast pain (mastalgia) in female runners of the 2012 London Marathon and its effect on exercise behaviour. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 48(4), 320-325. DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2013-092175
- Scurr, J., Hedger, W., Morris, P., & Brown, N. (2014). The prevalence, severity and impact of breast pain in the general population. The Breast Journal, 20(5), 508-513. DOI:10.1111/tbj.123010.1111/tbj.12305
- Brown, N., & Scurr, J. (2012). The need for a standardised anthropometric protocol for objective assessment of pre- and postoperative breast surgery. Gland Surgery, 1(3), 142-145. DOI:10.3978/j.issn.2227-684X.2012.10.01
- Brown, N., White, J., Milligan, A., Risius, D., Ayres, B., Hedger, W., & Scurr, J. (2012). The relationship between breast size and anthropometric measures. 24, 158-164. DOI: 10.1002/ajhb.22212
- Penn, S., & Brown, N. (2016). Components of fitness. In P. Hough & S. Penn (Eds.), Advanced personal training: Science to practice. London, UK: Routledge.
- Penn, S., & Brown, N. (2016). Fitness assessment. In P. Hough & S. Penn (Eds.), Advanced personal training: Science to practice. London, UK: Routledge.
Conference Communications and Published Abstracts
Omrani, A., Brasher, A., Smith, J., Wakefield-Scurr, J. & Brown, N. (2017). Support for Sport: Breast health education for schoolgirls. Gender, Physical Education and Active Lifestyles, 11 Sept, Leeds Beckett University, Leeds, UK.
Scurr, J. & Brown, N. (2015). Is breast bounce an issue for female athletes? Female Athlete Conference, 19-20 June, Boston, US.
- Brown, N., & Scurr, J. (2013). The need for a standardised anthropometric protocol for objective assessment of pre and post-operative breast surgery. Evidence Live, 25-26 March, 2013. Oxford, UK.
- Brown, N., White, J., Milligan, A., Risius, D., Ayres, B., Hedger, W. & Scurr, J. (2013). Limitations of clinical selection criteria for mammoplasty. Evidence Live, 25-26 March, 2013. Oxford, UK.
- Brown, N., White, J., Milligan, A., Risius, D., & Scurr, J. (2011). The influence of anthropometric measures on three-dimensional breast kinematics. In NT Cable & K George (Eds.), Proceedings of the 16th Annual Congress of the ECSS (pp. 467). July, Liverpool, UK.