Tel: 020 8240 4342
Before coming to St Mary’s, Peary was previously at Royal Holloway as a postdoctoral researcher and at Utrecht University in the Netherlands as a visiting lecturer and researcher. Peary’s teaching focuses mainly on social psychology, including political psychology and human relationships. He is also involved in the teaching of research methods and individual differences.
- Personal Tutor
- University Ethics Subcommittee
- Alumni Relations in Psychology
- PSY6001 – Independent Project
- PSY6011 – Psychology of Education
- PSY6012 – Political Psychology
- PSY6028 – Psychopathology and Deviant Behaviour
- PSY5008 – Social Brain (Contributor)
- PSY5009 – Developing Mind (Contributor)
Research interests focus on developing a better understanding of the social psychological impact that integration has on majority and minority groups in Western cultures. Much of the research investigates this issue among adolescents; investigating ethnic and national identification among this population.
Other areas of interest include educational attainment among ethnic and under-represented youth. To this extent he has been involved with an international research group that focuses on diversity in higher education.
- Black European Studies
- Race, Ethnicity and Intergroup Attitudes
- Social Identity
- Team Dynamics in Sports
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology
- International Society of Political Psychology
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
- Mugabe, C., Brug, P. & Catling, J. (2016) Cross-Cultural difference in Academic Motivation, Academic Self-Esteem, and Upward Social Mobility within a student cohort. Psychology Teaching Review, 22, 53-68.
- Brug, P. & Oliver, T.L. (2010). To go or not to go: Access and barriers to ethnic minority participation in higher education within the United Kingdom. In B. McGaw, E. Baker & P. L. Peterson (Eds.) International Encyclopaedia of Education, 3rd Edition. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Wandert, T., Ochsmann, R., Brug, P., Chybicka, A., Lacassagne, M. & Verkuyten, M. (2009) Black German identities: Validating the multidimensional inventory of black identity. Journal of Black Psychology, 35, 456-484.
- Brug, P. & Verkuyten, M. (2007). Dealing with cultural diversity: The endorsement of societal models among ethnic minority and majority youth in the Netherlands. Youth and Society 39, 112-131.