We are really pleased to welcome you here to St Mary’s and to the Faculty of Sport, Health and Applied Science, as you embark upon what will surely be a fantastic first year for you on the Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development programme.
You will be joining a thriving, friendly and vibrant community of students and staff and enjoying everything that St Mary’s has to offer along the way. We look forward to meeting you very soon!
Download your welcome letter
Your induction timetable
We have planned an exciting and informative programme of events to help you settle in to St Mary’s, get to know staff and help you to prepare for the new semester.
These events will include an Outdoor Adventure trip, meetings with your tutor and other students, as well as a sports tournament at the end of the week!
- Sunday 8th September, 8am-6pm: Registration open (students living in University accommodation only)
- Monday 9th September, 9am-5pm: Registration open (all other students)
- Monday 9th September, 10am-12pm: Welcome (Shannon 1/2)
- Monday 9th September, 2-4pm: Academic and IT skills (M101/M102/M2)
- Monday 9th September, 4-5pm: Student essentials (K217/K222)
- Tuesday 10th September, 7.30am-5.30pm: Outdoor educational trip (Main reception)
- Thursday 12th September, 9am-12pm: PAT session (F6/G1/G2)
- Friday 13th September, 9am-12pm: Welcome back and tutor meetings (F6/J101/J102)
- Friday 13th September, 4-5pm: Student life (K217/K222)
There will be lots of other activities going on during the first couple of weeks. Make sure you check out the welcome events calendar.
If, for any reason, you are unable to make it to the Student Essentials talk on Monday, we will be repeating it on Thursday 12th September, 12-1pm in K217/K222.
The Outdoor Education Trip is on Tuesday 10th September (not Friday 13th) all day. They would be advised wearing something comfortable, not jeans and trainers rather than sandals or flip flops. Check the weather and dress accordingly and bring a towel and a change of clothes as their will be water activities as well as 'land' activities. They will also need to bring a packed lunch, snacks and plenty to drink as they will be active all day.
We will be meeting outside Main Reception from 7:30am and leaving by 8am and will be travelling by coach to the Outdoor Education Centre in Farnborough which should take just under an hour with activities starting at 9:30am. Students will be organised into small groups not exceeding 10 and a member of Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development staff and will undertake a range of outdoor activities including kayaking and high ropes with the main focus being on working together and getting to know each other and the Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development staff who will also be their tutors. Activities finish at 4:30pm and depending on traffic we aim to back on campus by 5:30pm.