Skip to content Exit mobile menu

5: Arrange insurance

If you live on campus, you will receive basic contents insurance to cover your possessions. This is provided to you automatically. We recommend that you also purchase travel insurance, which will cover you while you're travelling.

If you study at St Mary's for more than six months, you will have to pay the NHS surcharge. If you have paid this then you will be eligible to use NHS services for your medical care without additional charges. Please see the Government’s guidance for information on using a European Health Insurance Card in England.

If you don't qualify for free NHS care, then you will pay at the point of use for these medical services. It's very important that you purchase private health insurance before coming to the UK. When receiving medical treatment, you should ask for a receipt. You can submit this to your insurance provider, who will reimburse you in line with your insurance policy.

Next: Enrol online

Previous: Find accommodation