Tel: 020 8240 4053
About Research Media
Anna Lise Gordon is currently the Director of the Institute of Education at St Mary’s University.
Anna Lise was awarded a prestigious National Teaching Fellowship in 2012 and is also a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Anna Lise was a joint winner of the St Henry Walpole Prize for Teaching and Learning, awarded by St Mary’s, in December 2009 for an innovative approach to cross-curricular learning with PGCE students, and again in 2013 for an initiative to nurture resilience of students across a range of academic programmes.
Anna Lise joined St Mary’s in 1998 as senior lecturer in education for modern languages. She completed her MA in Education (Leading Innovation and Change) in 2008 at the University of Surrey and her research project focused on specialist modern languages support for trainee teachers in primary schools. In 2016, Anna Lise completed a Doctorate in Education programme with Nottingham Trent University, focusing on resilience of early career teachers. She holds a coaching qualification from the Institute of Leadership and Management, and is a registered coach as part of the Department for Education’s initiative to encourage more women into school leadership. Particular interests include cross-curricular approaches to learning and teaching, mentoring of trainee teachers and the development of trainee teachers as reflective practitioners to enhance pupil learning. She has considerable experience as an external examiner for secondary ITT provision at a number of other universities. Anna Lise became a Professor of Education in May 2017.
Previously, Anna Lise taught modern languages in schools in London and Surrey and was a Local Authority Advisory Teacher and Consultant for modern languages for several years. She has also written educational materials for 11-16 year olds learning French and German in schools. Anna Lise was President of the Association for Language Learning (2016 – 2018) and continues as a trustee and an active member of its council.
Recent presentations include...
- July 2017 CLIL conference at Sheffield Hallam University, Presentation: Developing resilient learners through CLIL
- June 2017, Inside Government conference, Manchester. Presentation: Evaluating the next steps for development in MFL education
- April 2017, Westminster Briefing conference, Presentation: The Future of Modern Languages
- March 2017, Language World conference, Poster presentation: Being a head of MFL
- November 2016 UCET conference, Birmingham : Presentation – Resilience of early career teachers
- September 2016 British Education Educational Research Association conference, Leeds: Presentation – Teacher identity, well-being and resilience in teacher education
- March 2016 Association for Language Learning conference, Rugby: Major talk – Being a resilient team
- September 2015 British Education Educational Research Association conference, Belfast: Presentation – Teacher identity, well-being and resilience in teacher education
- May 2013 Higher Education Academy ‘Storyville’ conference: Poster presentation
- May 2013 Engaging with Methodology conference, University of Brighton: Presentation – Using bricolage as a research methodology
- July 2011 Association for Language Learning Conference, University of London – presentation for NQTs
- April 2010 Association for Language Learning Conference, University of York - presentation on cross-curricular learning and teaching in modern languages
Prior publications include...
- Lead co-author of ‘The Head of Languages Handbook’ (Association for Language Learning, 2017)
- ‘The resilient MFL team’ chapter in ‘Success Stories for Secondary Foreign Language Classrooms: Models from London School Partnerships with Universites’ (Trentham Books, 2016) ed. Christie, C. and Conlon, C.
- ‘The Mirror in the Suitcase’ chapter in ‘For the Love of Learning’ book (2013) ed. Bilham, T., London: Palgrave Macmillan
- ‘Resilience for early career teachers – does it matter?’ chapter in ‘Rethinking the Curriculum’ book (2013) ed. James, M., Renowden, J. and West-Burnham, J. Brown Dog Books
- ‘Metaphors for engaging with bricolage’ article in R.Ed (Research in Education), University of Brighton journal, September 2013, Vol. 5 No. 2
- ‘I’m a subject-specialist – get me out of here!’ article in Professional Development Today journal, Issue 14.2, Sept 2011
- Equipe Nouvelle 1, 2 and 3 Student's Book (2004) Daniele Bourdais, Sue Finnie, Anna Lise Gordon (Oxford University Press) (+ accompanying resources)
In the news
The Institute of Education at St Mary’s University, Twickenham has retained its Outstanding rating from Ofsted for its Initial Teacher Education (ITE) provision. Find out more...
St Mary’s University, Twickenham held its first ever Primary Science Conference for BA ITE Primary Education students and school teachers. Find out more...
PGCE Secondary Academic Director at St Mary’s University, Twickenham Anna Lise Gordon has been elected president of the Association for Language Learning. Find out more...
St Mary’s University College, Twickenham recently held its annual staff awards ceremony, which recognises new initiatives launched over the last year. Find out more...
For media enquiries, please contact our Communications and Public Engagement Manager, Sam Yarnold, by emailling firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 8240 8262.