Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Undergraduate and foundation degree funding

We know that managing your money and working out how you will finance your higher education will be an important consideration for you. At St Mary’s we offer a framework of student support and advice to assist you throughout your student journey.

Financing your studies

There are several ways to finance your studies, such as: through loans and grants (as detailed previously), savings, parental/partner support and part-time work.

Some students may also be eligible for a scholarship or bursary. Take a look at the scholarship pages for more information on eligibility and courses covered. 

Some students may also be eligible to loan equipment from the university to use while they are studying. Take a look at the Digital Equality IT Loan Scheme to see if you are eligible

Some students may also be eligible for help with the cost of extra-curricular activities whilst they are at university. Take a look at the Student Engagement Fund to see if you are eligible.

Studying part-time

Students will be charged tuition fees pro-rata to the full time tuition fee. For example, students studying 60 credits would be charged 50% of the full time fee.

Part-time students are entitled to a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of their fees as long as they are studying at least 25% of a full-time degree. They are also able to apply for a maintenance loan to assist with living costs. The amount of maintenance loan a student can receive depends on the intensity of their studies. If a student is studying 50% of a full time course over a one year period they would be eligible for 50% of the full time maintenance loan that year.

For more information about Studying Part-Time please take a look at the dedicated pages for Part-Time students which can be found under the course listings.

All prospective students are advised to check up on further developments on the  Student Finance website. You will receive up to date information from this site, together with information on when you should make your application for student support.

It is important you make your application early so that your funding is in place when you start your course. 

Post-EU referendum funding

EU students starting university in 2022/21 will need to check what funding they can access based on a number of things such as visas and residency. To check this, please visit the Government website:

Student Finance for EU students

Educational trust and charity funding

Many educational trusts and charities offer financial assistance to home, EU and international students. Most have specific criteria that you must meet in order to receive their help. Some trusts are set up especially to benefit students with disabilities.

You should be aware that:

  • You will need to make an application well in advance of beginning a course of study if you are relying on help from this source.
  • Full scholarships are rare, due to the large number of people applying each year. Many educational trusts will only help students in their final year of study and often only in their final term.
  • You will normally need to provide evidence that you have tried all other sources of financial help when you apply.