Please note: this role is only open to current St Mary’s students or recent St Mary’s graduates.
- Department: Sport St Mary’s
- Job Title: SIMMSAthletics Coach
- Responsible to: Sports Workforce and Placements Officer, SIMMSAthletics Head Coach
- Salary: £12.04 per hour, following a successful trial period
- Working Hours:
- Monday, 5-7pm
- Tuesday, 5-6pm
- Wednesday, 5-6pm
- Friday, 5-6pm
- Saturday, 9.30am-2pm
- All sessions are during term-time only. Exact dates will be notified by the Sports Workforce and Placements Officer.
- Applicants must be available for at least two of these days. If you can only commit to one day then please speak with the Sports Workforce and Placements officer before applying.
- Closing Date: Ongoing
SIMMSport is a fun, high quality sports programme that delivers weekly coaching sessions to over 800 boys and girls aged 5 to 15 years every week, using Sport St Mary’s facilities.
Over the last few years, our junior athletics programme has continued to grow, now coaching over 200 junior athletes each week to become one of the area’s largest junior athletics clubs. We are looking for students who are proactive, energetic and enthusiastic to lead and assist coaching sessions within the programme.
If you are an enthusiastic team player, enjoy working with children, are passionate about coaching and are looking for an extremely rewarding job then we want to hear from you!
- To be an ambassador for SIMMSport, positively promoting the programme and encouraging participation
- Create and deliver session plans that fit into the Head Coaches’ termly coaching plans. All sessions should be fun, challenging and enjoyable for participants
- Responsible for the safety of all participants including ensuring the safe use of equipment
- To set up all equipment and activity areas
- Ensure the facilities are treated with care and left tidy at the end of each session.
- To be a positive role model
- Communicate effectively with the Sports Wrokforce & Placements Officer and SIMMSAthletics Head Coaches, informing them of any problems, concerns, accidents and incidents relating to any aspect of the role.
- Maintain good relationships with parents, exceeding their expectations by ensuring excellent customer service is delivered.
- Attend training and supervision sessions as and when required.
- Carry out administrative duties as necessary, for example taking registers.
- To undertake any other duties that the Sports Workforce & Placements Officer deems appropriate.
- Educated to A-Level standard or above
- Level 1 NGB/UKCC and above coaching qualification(s)
- Coaching/Sport leader qualification
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Safeguarding Children
- DBS dated within 3 years
Experience, skills and training
- Experience of volunteering/working in a sports environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with a wide range of people
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Previous coaching experience
- Experience of organising and promoting events/activities
- Studying towards or already completed a degree in primary/secondary teaching, sports coaching or PE qualification
- Interest in sport and enthusiasm for increasing participation
- Enthusiastic, energetic and approachable
- Commitment to the principles of equal opportunities
- Strong team player
- Ability to work independently
- Vibrant, fun, confident personality
Additional benefits of the role
- Being part of an amazing team
- Crucial work experience that will hugely benefit those who wish to pursue a career in teaching, coaching or sports development
- Training and personal development opportunities (e.g. First Aid, Safeguarding children etc)
- Invaluable experience for your CV
- References available on request
- Fun and enjoyment
How to apply
To apply please submit your CV and cover letter (maximum 1 side of A4) to email@example.com.
In addition to explaining your interest in and suitability for the post, your application should also detail why you are applying for the role.
All candidates will receive a response via email with successful candidates being invited to an informal interview.
Potential coaches should note that successful applicants will need to complete a DBS and an induction prior to commencing their role.