Please note: this role is only open to current St Mary’s students.
- Department: Sport St Mary’s
- Job Title: SIMMSactive No Ordinary Activator
- Responsible to: Sport Participation and Volunteering Officer, SIMMSactive Committee
- Salary: £12.04 per hour, following a successful trial period
- Working hours: Thursday, 5-6pm (subject to change)
- Closing Date: Monday 28th September 2020
SIMMSactive is St Mary’s University recreational sports programme that delivers inclusive and enjoyable weekly sessions to the student body, as well as hosts key annual events such as ‘Simmie Girls Can’.
Over the last few years, the SIMMSactive has continued to diversify the activities delivered, whilst trying to engage as many students as possible; as part of this we run a “No Ordinary” session. In 2019/20, SIMMSactive engaged over 300 students in sport and/or physical activity throughout the year and we are now looking for students who are proactive, energetic and enthusiastic to lead and assist sessions within the programme.
The No Ordinary Society welcomes all students; originally founded to provide support for disabled students, now has a diverse range of members many of whom are not affected by disability. Some students may find it difficult to access university sports clubs, societies or general university life and therefore work to provide an alternative environment for you to meet other students. No Ordinary works alongside the student wellbeing department to ensure that we are providing an inclusive environment and create joint events with them.
As well as social activities, the society attends a weekly activity session in partnership with Sport St Mary’s. These are well attended by the members and give students the chance to have a go at different sports and activities, encouraging them to be active. The sessions are very flexible to fit around the needs and wants of members of the society including Ultimate Frisbee, Sitting Volleyball, Badminton as well as activities we have created ourselves. All the activities are inclusive and ensure that all members of the society can participate regardless of disability or ability.
If you are a passionate individual that is looking for an extremely rewarding job then we want to hear from you!
- To be an ambassador for SIMMSactive, positively promoting the programme and encouraging participation
- Create and deliver session plans that meet the needs of the specific participants, including adapted games and activities
- Responsible for the safety of all participants including ensuring the safe use of equipment
- To set up all equipment and activity areas
- Ensure the facilities are treated with care and left tidy at the end of each session
- To be a positive role model
- Communicate effectively with the Club Sport Officer and SIMMSactive Committee, informing them of any problems, concerns, accidents and incidents relating to any aspect of the role
- Attend training and supervision sessions as and when required
- Carry out administrative duties as necessary, for example taking registers
- To undertake any other duties that the SIMMSactive Committee deem appropriate
- Educated to A-Level standard or above
- Level 1 NGB/UKCC and above coaching qualification(s), or willing to work towards during the role
- DBS dated within 3 years,or willing to achieve prior to starting the role
- Coaching/Sport leader qualification,or willing to work towards during the role
- Valid First Aid Certificate,or willing to work towards during the role
Experience, skills and training
- Experience of volunteering/working in a sports environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with a wide range of people
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Previous coaching experience
- Experience of organising and promoting events/activities
- Studying towards or already completed a degree in primary/secondary teaching, sports coaching or PE qualification
- Interest in sport and enthusiasm for increasing participation
- Enthusiastic, energetic and approachable
- Commitment to the principles of equal opportunities
- Strong team player
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Vibrant, fun, confident personality
Additional benefits of the role
- Excellent work experience that will hugely benefit those who wish to pursue a career in teaching, coaching or sports development
- Access to training and personal development opportunities (e.g. First Aid, Safeguarding Children etc.)
- Invaluable experience for your CV
- Being part of a growing and enthusiastic SIMMSactive team
- References available on request
How to apply
To apply please submit your CV and cover letter (maximum 400 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to explaining your interest in and suitability for the post, your application should also detail why you are applying for the role.
All candidates will receive a response via email with successful candidates being invited to an informal interview, and practical session with date TBC.
Applicants should note that if successful they will need to complete a DBS and an induction prior to commencing their role.