Please note: this role is only open to current St Mary’s students or recent St Mary’s graduates.
- Department: Sport St Mary’s
- Job Title: SIMMSport Coaching Assistant
- Responsible to: Sports Workforce and Placements Officer, SIMMSport Head Coaches
- Salary: Voluntary, with opportunities to move into paid roles Roles available:
- Working Hours: Weekday evenings and weekends. Check our SIMMSport pages for session times
- Closing Date: Ongoing
SIMMSport is a fun, high quality sports programme that delivers weekly coaching sessions to over 950 boys and girls aged 5 to 15 years every week, using Sport St Mary’s facilities.
Over the last few years, our SIMMSport programme has grown considerably, supporting over 40 students per semester to gain regular coaching roles. As our programmes have expanded, we are looking for students who are seeking entry- level positions to support the delivery of our programmes. This role involves assisting our coaches with the planning and delivery of our weekly SIMMSport sessions.
If you are an enthusiastic team player, enjoy working with children, are passionate about coaching and are looking for an extremely rewarding job then we want to hear from you!
- To be an ambassador for SIMMSport, positively promoting the programme and encouraging participation
- Support SIMMSport coaches by enthusiastically assisting all activities
- Assist in preparing session plans where necessary, ensuring that activities delivered are fun, challenging and enjoyable for all participants
- Ensuring all activities are delivered safely to participants
- To assist in setting up all equipment and activity areas
- Ensure the facilities are treated with care and left tidy at the end of each session.
- To be a positive role model
- Communicate effectively with the Sports Workforce & Placements Officer and SIMMSport Head Coaches, informing them of any problems, concerns, accidents and incidents relating to any aspect of the role.
- Maintain good relationships with parents, exceeding their expectations by ensuring excellent customer service is delivered.
- Attend training and supervision sessions as and when required.
- To undertake any other duties that the Sports Workforce & Placements Officer deems appropriate.
- Educated to A-Level standard or above
- Level 1 NGB/UKCC and above coaching qualification(s)
- Coaching/Sport leader qualification
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Safeguarding Children
- DBS dated within 3 years
Experience, skills and training
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with a wide range of people
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Experience of volunteering/working in a sports environment
- Interest in sport
- Enthusiastic, energetic and approachable
- Commitment to the principles of equal opportunities
- Strong team player
- Ability to work independently
- Vibrant, fun, confident personality
Additional benefits of the role
- Potential to progress into paid coaching roles
- Being part of an amazing team
- Crucial work experience that will hugely benefit those who wish to pursue a career in teaching, coaching or sports development
- Training and personal development opportunities (e.g. First Aid, Safeguarding children etc)
- Invaluable experience for your CV
- References available on request
- Fun and enjoyment
How to apply
To apply please submit your CV to email@example.com. Please state why you are interested in, and your suitability for, the role.
All candidates will receive a response via email with successful candidates being invited to an informal interview.
Potential coaches should note that successful applicants will need to complete a DBS and an induction prior to commencing their role.