Please note: this role is only open to current St Mary’s students.
- Department: Sport St Mary’s
- Job Title: SIMMSactive President
- Responsible to: Sport Participation and Volunteering Officer
- Salary: Voluntary (contains paid opportunities at £12.04 per hour)
- Closing Date: Monday 5th October 2020
SIMMSactive is St Mary’s University recreational sports programme that delivers inclusive and enjoyable weekly sessions to the student body, as well as hosts key annual events such as ‘Simmie Girls Can’.
Over the last few years, the SIMMSactive has continued to diversify the activities delivered, whilst trying to engage as many students as possible. In 2019/20 SIMMSactive engaged over 300 students in sport and/or physical activity throughout the year.
We are now putting together a small SIMMSactive Committee that will oversee the development of the recreational programme, as well as set and deliver key aims and objectives. We are looking for students who are proactive, energetic and enthusiastic to lead the programme and drive SIMMSactive forward. All members of the Committee will be voluntary, however the SIMMSactive workforce are required to deliver opportunities that arise throughout the year that will be paid at £12.04/hr; these opportunities include, but are not limited to, Simmie Girls Can Week & Hall Stars.
If you are a passionate individual that is looking for an extremely rewarding role then we want to hear from you!
- To oversee and support the SIMMSactive Committee, ensuring all members are fulfilling their roles and contributing to the development of the programme through regular committee meetings
- To be an ambassador for SIMMSactive, positively promoting the programme and encouraging participation
- Responsible for the recruitment, organisation and communication with all SIMMSactive Activators
- Work alongside the Club Sport Officer to lead on the strategic development of the SIMMSactive programme as a whole, as well as support the allocation of programme budgets
- Work alongside the SIMMSactive Media Officer to develop, deliver and review a SIMMSactive communications plan
- Work alongside the SIMMSactive Events Officer to support all annual events, such as Simmie Girls Can and Hall Stars
- Innovate new and exciting opportunities that increase the number of students participating within the SIMMSactive programme
- Work with key internal and external partners to diversify the offer within the SIMMSactive programme
- To be a positive role model and advocate for student health and well-being
- Communicate effectively with the Club Sport Officer and SIMMSactive Committee
- Attend training and supervision sessions as and when required
- Carry out administrative duties as necessary
- To undertake any other duties that the SIMMSactive Committee deem appropriate
- Educated to A-Level standard or above
- DBS dated within 3 years,or willing to achieve prior to starting the role
- Coaching/Sport leader qualification,or willing to work towards during the role
- Valid First Aid Certificate,or willing to work towards during the role
Experience, skills and training
- Experience of volunteering/working in a sports environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with a wide range of people
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Experience of organising and promoting events/activities
- Experience of leading others
- Interest in sport and enthusiasm for increasing participation
- Enthusiastic, energetic and approachable
- Commitment to the principles of equal opportunities
- Strong team player
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Vibrant, fun, confident personality
Additional benefits of the role
- Excellent work experience that will hugely benefit those who wish to pursue a career in sports development, event management, teaching, coaching and other sports-related careers
- Gain an insight and understanding of sports development
- Experience of recruiting, supporting and managing volunteers and casual staff members
- Access to training and personal development opportunities (e.g. First Aid, Safeguarding Children etc.)
- Invaluable experience for your CV, working within a sports department
- Being part of a growing and enthusiastic SIMMSactive team
- Mentoring support from Club Sport Officer
- References available on request
How to apply
To apply please submit your CV and cover letter (maximum 400 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to explaining your interest in and suitability for the post, your application should also detail why you are applying for the role.
All candidates will receive a response via email with successful candidates being invited to an informal interview, and practical session with date TBC.
Applicants should note that if successful they will need to complete a DBS and an induction prior to commencing their role.