Members of our St Mary's staff and student community are vital in helping us create a more diverse, equal, and inclusive campus.
Whether a student or member of staff, we hope you will join us in these efforts.
Join one of our EDI Staff Networks
Our six Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Staff Networks are key to operational delivery of the People Strategy and engaging staff in this work.
The network leads work closely with the SU to ensure collaboration and promotion of activity to students, as well as staff, as relevant. The networks produce an enormous amount of opportunities for engagement in EDI-related initiatives, particularly in terms of events open to staff and students. The networks also provide consultation to senior leadership on best practice for addressing EDI-related issues on campus.
The networks report into the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Board to ensure a joined up approach to delivering EDI initiatives across the University, and to enable collaboration across the networks. Find out more about each of the networks, including how you can get involved.
Join one of our Student EDI Networks/Societies
There are a range of student-run groups at St Mary's - as well as societies managed by the Students' Union - related to race, gender, sexuality, disability, and more.
- I'm Mature Society.
- LGBTQ+ Society.
- No Ordinary Society & No Ordinary Sport.
- Race Equity Network - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.
- Disability Students Network - please contact email@example.com to get involved.
- The Student Engagement Group – Want your voices heard? Get involved with the Student Engagement Student Group, which is a standing focus group for St Mary’s students to feed back on anything and everything, with support from staff and Student Union members. There’s usually a free drink and snacks involved and it’s a great way to meet other students at SMU as well as a brilliant experience to add to your CV! If you’re interested, get in touch with Elizabeth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Student Issues EDI group – this is a group which comprises students, the Students’ Union and staff, but the focus of which is to highlight, address and improve EDI issues for students. This might include your academic experience, life on campus or any other areas of student life that you wish to raise. For more information or to join a meeting, contact email@example.com.
- Sport St Mary’s and the SU Sport President are working together with the Widening Participation Team to increase the number and range of inclusive sporting opportunities. If you have ideas or would like to get incolved please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, Nikki.anghileri@stmary’s.ac.uk.
Join one of our Equality Charters Teams
St Mary's Equality Charters efforts are driven by teams of staff and students from across the University.
To learn more about the work of our Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team, Race Equality Charter Self-Assessment Team, and Disability Confident Working Group.
To get involved with one of our equality charters teams, please email EDI.Team@stmarys.ac.uk.