Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Immigration Health Surcharge

Non-EEA migrants coming to the UK for more than six months are now required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge. For Tier 4 visa applicants who will be studying at St Mary's for six months or more the immigration health surcharge fee is £150 per year (for the total length of your visa).

Where part of your course is six months or less this fee will be £75. This is in addition to the visa application fee of £328 (for out of UK applications) or £448 (for in-UK applications).

For more information, please see the UKVI website.

How much to pay

You can check how much you will need to pay by using the UKVI Health Surcharge calculator. The amount payable will be based on the maximum period of time for which permission could be granted under the relevant application route.

This means, you will pay for the duration of your course, plus any additional leave that is given as part of the Tier 4 visa. If the length of the course is 12 months or more, you will be allowed a period of leave of one month before the course and four months after. Courses between 6-12 months are allowed a period of leave of one month before the course and two months after. 

For example, for our undergraduates who started in September 2016:

  • Length of your course is from September 2016 to May 2019: 2 years, 9 months
  • Period of leave to remain before the course starts: 1 month
  • Period of leave to remain after the course ends: 4 months
  • Total length of stay: 3 years, 2 months
  • Yearly charge: 3 x £150 = £450
  • Two months (charged at half cost of the yearly charge): £75

Total to pay: £525

Frequently asked questions

When do I pay?

If you're making an immigration application online or at a premium service centre, you pay the healthcare surcharge as part of the application process or when you book an appointment.

What health treatment am I entitled to once I pay the surcharge?

You can receive the same NHS treatment as permanent UK residents but may be charged for services a permanent resident would also pay for, such as dental treatment and prescription charges. More information can be found on the UKCISA website.

I am studying for less than six months, am I entitled to NHS treatment?

If you are studying with us for less than six months, for example if you are a Study Abroad student, you will not need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge. You will not be able to receive free health treatment, therefore it is advised that you obtain medical insurance to cover you time in the UK.

What are the charges for Australian and New Zealand nationals?

As of 6 April 2016 Australian and New Zealand nationals need to pay a health surcharge of £200 per year.

Can I get a refund for the immigration health surcharge?

Refunds will only be made in certain circumstances, such as if your visa is refused. You won’t get a refund for the healthcare surcharge if:

  • your visa application is granted but you don’t travel to the UK
  • you leave before your permission to be in the UK ends
  • the Home Office withdraws your permission to be in the UK
  • you don’t use any health services during your stay

Further information about refunds can be found on the visas and immigration website.