Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Tier 4 Visa financial information

Money Requirements

Not showing enough money, or showing incorrect evidence of your money is the most common reason for Tier 4 visa refusals. You must therefore ensure that you read this information carefully and that your documents meet UKVI's requirements.

In total, you will need to show you have enough money to cover your tuition fees plus money to cover living costs.

Tuition fees

You will need to show that you have enough money for the first year of your course, or for the entire course if it lasts less than a year. If you have already paid part of your tuition fee this will be indicated in your CAS and you will only need to show the remainder. For example, if the first year of your fees are £9,900 and you have paid the £2,000 deposit, you will only need to show £7,900 of tuition fee in your account.

Living costs

In addition to your tuition fees you must be able to show you have money for living costs. St Mary's University is in Inner London so you must show you have at least £1,265 a month at your disposal for up to a maximum of nine months, which accumulates to £11,385.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have paid some of my accommodation fees already?

If you are living in St Mary’s Halls of Residence/St Mary’s owned accommodation you will be allowed to deduct up to £1,020 from your living costs. This means, even if you have paid more than £1,020 towards your accommodation you can only deduct £1,020. For example, if you have paid £2,000 towards your St Mary's Halls accommodation, you can deduct £1,020 from the £11,385 you need to show so you will only need to show you have £10,365 towards living costs in your account.

What documents do I need to show I have the correct amount of money?

The Tier 4 policy guidance outlines the different documents that can be accepted. The most common documents used are bank statements or a bank letter.

The money will need to have been held in your account for a minimum of 28 days prior to the visa application being made. This means that the balance on the account must not have dropped below the amount that you need to show at any time during the 28 day period. The Tier 4 policy guidance has more information about maintenance funds and how evidence of your money should be presented.

Am I allowed to use money belonging to my parents?

Yes, you can use money belonging to your parents or legal guardians. The document you use must conform to the Home Office requirements listed in the point above.

The document must also be accompanied by the following:

  • Document which confirms your relationship to your parent/legal guardian, such as a birth certificate or legal document
  • A letter that confirms that your parents or legal guardians have given their consent to you using their funds to study in the UK.

Please note you cannot use money belonging to a friend or a family member other than your parents/legal guardians.