St Mary’s University is known for its exceptional sports courses and excellent facilities.
This one-day course is aimed at the wider community of non-elite runners. It will empower, educate, support, and motivate you to achieve a life changing dream of running a marathon.
This inspiring day will give you everything you need to know about your first or second marathon in an exciting new way. The day will take place on St Mary’s University campus where we have state-of-the-art facilities such as the Sir Mo Farah running track and the Performance Education Centre.
It is interactive, collaborative, confidence boosting, and fun and will be delivered by experts in the field and very importantly by those who experienced the first marathon dilemma and have now experienced many marathons and taught others how to achieve this goal.
The course is perfect for:
- first or second time marathon runners – able bodied and disabled
- park runners who would like to build up to a marathon
- running club runners
- charity place runners who are doing it all on their own
- anyone who would love to run a marathon but doesn’t know where to start.
Meet the tutor
The course will be run by expert tutor, Caitlin Limmer. Caitlin is a very experienced runner and has completed over 18 marathons and has over 20 years’ experience as a trainer.
Caitlin is also the Founder of Twickenham’s famous Bearcat Running Club and is the Race Director of the Turks Head 10K, and was the Race Director of Cabbage Patch 10. She also works for the London Marathon at The Expo and on the London Marathon Day itself. Caitlin is friendly, warm and welcoming and will inspire, support, and motivate you to achieve marathon success.
Dates and times
This one-day workshop will take place on:
- Saturday 2 December 2023, 9am-5pm.
This course will take place at St Mary’s University main campus, Twickenham.
- The full course cost is £55.
St Mary's University staff and students can receive a 10% discount.
At the start the day you will meet in your running kit on the Sir Mo Farah track for a ‘get to know you’ session.
The course will cover a number of areas to prepare you perfectly for your marathon journey:
- getting to know your warm up
- planning - how to write and find your training plan based on who you are and the life you lead
- common injuries, stitches, colds – how to avoid and treat them
- top tips nobody tells you until it is too late
- cross and strength training, how and why it is important
- nutrition and hydration, training, the week before, on the day, and recovery afterwards
- supplements and race provision how to use these effectively
- mental training the “how to” with confidence, motivation, belief, tackling negativity
- hitting the wall, when things go wrong
- real life stories we can all learn from.
The day will also include a marathon clinic over lunch.
The workshop is not just lecture based, it is fun and interactive. It is much more than plans, pasta, and plantar fasciitis. It deals with the mind and the practicalities of a marathon as well as the body.
It promised to be an unforgettable day and will be as integral to a marathon experience as buying the right shoes.
Attendees need a “can-do” attitude. You don’t have to have signed up for a marathon, just have a desire that in the future this is something you would like to do. To enrol on this course you must be 18-years-old or over.
Book your place now
For more information about this course please contact the Short Courses Team: