Our Learn to Lift courses are designed to teach you how to safely lift weights and get fit, in a friendly and supportive environment.
The sessions run in our state-of-the-art Performance Education Centre (PEC) on campus at St Mary's University. Places are limited to a maximum of ten participants meaning to ensure that you will receive individual attention and advise from our expert tutor who will guide you to build your confidence and to ensure correct technique.
Dates and times
You can choose from three different experience levels which include:
- Intermediate Lifters
- Advanced level Olympic Weightlifting Group.
Each of level of the course will run for one hour over 10 sessions on a Wednesday evening.
- The Beginners course will run 6-7pm.
- Intermediate Lifters will run 7-8pm.
- Advanced Level Olympic Weightlifting Group will run 8-9pm.
You can choose from a number of date options including:
- 4th October 2023 - 13th December 2023
- 17th January 2024 to 27th March 2024
- 17th April 2024 to 26th June 2024.
The course will run in our state-of-the-art Performance Education Centre (PEC) on campus at St Mary's University, Twickenham.
The full course cost is £150.
St Mary's University staff and students can receive a 10% discount. Please use the booking link on the Discounted short courses page (St Mary's login required).
The Learn to Lift course is run over a period of ten-weeks, and offers levels three levels of difficulty to cater for all experience and fitness abilities, from complete beginners to advanced level.
- Beginners: An introduction to weight and strength training. This course will suit you if you have little to no gym experience. The focus of the course will be on movement coordination and the learning of a series of exercises. Ideal if you are looking to increase load and variability into your gym routine. You will cover basic lifts such a squat, deadlift and bench-press.
- Intermediate Lifters: This class builds up on the skills acquired in the Beginners course. The course will suit you if you want to add variations and progressions to your gym routine and is perfect if you want to build your confidence and improve your knowledge and skills to make the most of your gym sessions.
- Advanced Level Olympic Weightlifting Group: An introduction to advanced lifting. This course will suit you if you have considerable gym experience and are looking to learn or improve your weightlifting, for example, snatch, and clean and jerk which will be covered.
To enrol on this course you must be 18-years-old or over.
For more information about this course please contact the Short Courses Team: