Tel: 020 8240 4211
Eirini is a Nutritionist and Dietician with clinical and research experience in the health care sector and academia in different institutions in Greece, the UK and France. She holds a BSc (Hons) in Nutrition and Dietetics from the Technological Educational Institute of Crete, Greece and an MSc in Human Nutrition and Metabolism from the University of Aberdeen, UK.
Eirini has undertaken her PhD in Nutritional Epidemiology at the University of East Anglia, UK investigating the role of diet and inflammation on skeletal muscle mass in women from the TwinsUK cohort. After completing her PhD Eirini joined the Institute of Ageing, Gérontopôle, University of Toulouse III-Paul Sabatier, France as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate, investigating associations between nutrition, body composition, frailty, and cognition in older populations.
In January 2015 she was appointed as a Lecturer in Nutrition at Bournemouth University and in January 2017 she joined St Mary’s University Twickenham, London where she is lecturing at both the BSc and MSc Nutrition programmes. Her main teaching interests focus on Research methodologies, Nutrition in Health and Disease and Nutrition Throughout the Lifecourse.
Eirini’s research focuses on understanding the importance of nutrition (dietary patterns, micronutrients) to human health, disease and ageing, with particular emphasis on malnutrition, frailty, cognition, Alzheimer’s disease, sarcopenia and age-related loss of skeletal mass and function.
Eirini has peer reviewed publications in the field and presented research findings both nationally and internationally. She is a co-author of the “White Book on Frailty” published under the auspices of the International Association and Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG) / Global Aging Research Network (GARN). She is a collaborator and member of the Editorial board of the “Frailty.net” International educational website, provided peer reviews for The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging and The Journal of Frailty & Aging, and has been invited chair for oral presentations for the International Conference on Frailty and Sarcopenia Research in Barcelona, Spain (12-14 March 2014).
- Kelaiditi E, Jennings A, Steves CJ, Skinner J, Cassidy A, MacGregor A, Welch AA. (2016) Indices of skeletal muscle mass and power are associated with a Mediterranean dietary pattern in women. Osteoporosis International, 27(11):3251-3260.
- Kelaiditi E, Canevelli M, Andrieu S, Del Campo N, Soto ME, Vellas B, Cesari M, and the ICTUS/DSA Group. (2016) Frailty Index and cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s disease: data from the Impact of Cholinergic Treatment USe study. J Am Geriatr Soc, 64(6):1165-70.
- Kelaiditi E, Andrieu S, Cantet C, Vellas B, Cesari M, ICTUS/DSA Group. (2016) Frailty Index and Incident Mortality, Hospitalization, and Institutionalization in Alzheimer's Disease: Data From the ICTUS Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 71(4):543-8.
- Welch AA, Kelaiditi E, Jennings A, Steves CJ, Spector TD, MacGregor A. (2016) Dietary Magnesium Is Positively Associated With Skeletal Muscle Power and Indices of Muscle Mass and May Attenuate the Association Between Circulating C-Reactive Protein and Muscle Mass in Women. J Bone Miner Res, 31(2):317-25.
- de Souto Barreto P, Cadroy Y, Kelaiditi E, Vellas B, Rolland Y. (2017) The prognostic value of body-mass index on mortality in older adults with dementia living in nursing homes. Clin Nut, 36(2):423-428.
- Del Campo N, Cesari M, Canevelli M, Hoogendijk Emiel O, Lilamand M, Kelaiditi E, Soto ME, Ousset PJ, Weiner MW, Andrieu S, Vellas B; ICTUS and REAL.FR/DSA groups. (2016) Refining Mild-to-Moderate Alzheimer Disease Screening: a tool for clinicians. J Am Med Dir Assoc, 17(10):913-20.
- Fougère B, Kelaiditi E, Hoogendijk EO, Demougeot L, Duboué M, Vellas B, Cesari M. (2016) Frailty Index and Quality of Life in Nursing Home Residents: Results From INCUR Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 71(3):420-4.
- Lilamand M, Kelaiditi E, Cesari M, Raynaud-Simon A, Ghisolfi A, Guyonnet S, Vellas B, van Kan GA, Toulouse Frailty Platform Team. (2015) Validation of the Mini Nutritional Assessment-Short Form in a Population of Frail Elders without Disability. Analysis of the Toulouse Frailty Platform Population in 2013. J Nutr Health Aging, 19(5):570-4.
- Lilamand M, Kelaiditi E, Demougeot L, Rolland Y, Vellas B, Cesari M. (2015) The Mini Nutritional Assessment-Short Form and mortality in nursing home residents--results from the INCUR study. J Nutr Health Aging, 19(4):383-8.
- Tabue-Teguo M, Kelaiditi E, Demougeot L, Dartigues JF, Vellas B, Cesari M. (2015) Frailty Index and Mortality in Nursing Home Residents in France: Results From the INCUR Study. J Am Med Dir Assoc, 16(7):603-6.
- Kelaiditi E. Frailty and Novel Technologies - A Step Ahead. (2015) J Frailty Aging, 4(2):90-2.
- Kelaiditi E, Guyonnet S, Cesari M. Is nutrition important to postpone frailty? Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care; 2015 Jan; 18(1):37-42.
- Kelaiditi E, Demougeot L, Lilamand M, Guyonnet S, Vellas B, Cesari M. (2014) Nutritional status and the incidence of pneumonia in nursing home residents: results from the INCUR study. J Am Med Dir Assoc, 15(8):588-92.
- Lilamand M, Kelaiditi E, Guyonnet S, Antonelli Incalzi R, Raynaud-Simon A, Vellas B, Cesari M. Flavonoids and arterial stiffness: promising perspectives. (2014) Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis, 24(7):698-704.
- Canevelli M, Adali N, Kelaiditi E, Cantet C, Ousset PJ, Cesari M, ICTUS/DSA Group. (2014) Effects of Gingko biloba supplementation in Alzheimer's disease patients receiving cholinesterase inhibitors: data from the ICTUS study. Phytomedicine, 21(6):888-92.
- Canevelli M, Kelaiditi E. (2014) Editorial: The Complex Construct of Mild Cognitive Impairment: Be Aware of Cognitive Frailty. J Frailty Aging, 3(2):87-8.
- Kelaiditi E, van Kan GA, Cesari M. Frailty: role of nutrition and exercise. (2014) Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care, 17(1):32-9.
- Kelaiditi E, Cesari M, Canevelli M, van Kan GA, Ousset PJ, Gillette-Guyonnet S, Ritz P, Duveau F, Soto ME, Provencher V, Nourhashemi F, Salvà A, Robert P, Andrieu S, Rolland Y, Touchon J, Fitten JL, Vellas B; IANA/IAGG. (2013) Cognitive frailty: rational and definition from an (I.A.N.A./I.A.G.G.) International consensus group. J Nutr Health Aging, 17(9):726-34.
- Padidar S, Farquharson AJ, Williams LM, Kelaiditi E, Hoggard N, Arthur JR, Drew JE. (2011) Leptin up-regulates pro-inflammatory cytokines in discrete cells within mouse colon. J Cell Physiol, 226(8):2123-30.
For media enquiries, please contact our Communications and Public Engagement Manager, Sam Yarnold, by emailling firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 8240 8262.