Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Disability and mental health advisors

Have a private, confidential meeting with one of our Disability or Mental Health Advisors to discuss your own individual support needs.

We can discuss appropriate reasonable adjustments and create an individual support plan. With your consent, we can communicate with your programme to ensure that you are not disadvantaged as a result of a disability including a mental health condition, specific learning difference, autism, mobility impairment, sensory impairment, medical condition or temporary disability.

The Equality Act 2010 states that education providers must make reasonable adjustments for disabled students. You have this right if your condition has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

Here is a list of some of the reasonable adjustments we offer at St Mary's University:

  • Exam adjustments (extra time, rest breaks, use of a computer, smaller room or use of assistive software)
  • Teaching and learning adjustments in lectures, seminars and for assessments
  • Lecture slides made available online in advance of lectures
  • Access to lecture capture recordings
  • Ergonomic equipment
  • Accessible and suitable room in University halls of residence
  • Library support (designated member of staff, book fetching, extended library loans)
  • Alternative formats for library resources
  • Individualised plans for students on placements

The Learning Support Form (LSF) is your individualised support plan. It states your specific support need(s) and the recommended reasonable adjustments to enable you to reach your full potential. With your consent, we send it to your lecturers and other colleagues that "need to know" to support you at University.

Our disability advisors can also help you apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), and we offer free screenings for dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, and autism.

Please email or call 020 8240 4353 to arrange an appointment with one of our Disability Advisors, or you can complete the disability and dyslexia referal form on your phone or computer.