St Mary's University is a Catholic Foundation with a mission to provide high-quality academic and professional higher education within a collegial ethos inspired and sustained by Christian values. The promotion of equality and diversity is an important part of this mission, in line with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
In undertaking its commitment to equality and diversity the University will:
- Promote equality and prevent and eliminate discrimination for staff and students on the grounds of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marital and civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, sexual orientation, religious belief, social or national origin in a proactive manner;
- Promote disability, gender and racial equality in line with our duties under the law and our belief in the virtue of tolerance, diversity and inclusion;
- Promote equality in line with our duties under the law and our belief in the virtue of tolerance, diversity and inclusion;
- Ensure that all students, staff, applicants to the University are treated with respect and dignity and receive fair and equal treatment in all aspects of their applications, employment or learning;
- Ensure that staff comply with the University's policies and procedures through the provision of appropriate training
All staff, students and visitors are expected to act within the remit of the policy and to take responsibility for its successful implementation.
St Mary's is currently working on its new 2016-2019 Equality Objectives. To ensure the University's needs and ambitions are fully reflected, we seek to align the objectives with the new Corporate Plan. St Mary's corporate planning process is to be finalised soon and we intend to publish the new Equality Objectives in autumn 2016.