St Mary's University is a Catholic Foundation with a mission to provide high-quality academic and professional higher education within a collegial ethos inspired and sustained by Christian values. The promotion of equality and diversity is an important part of this mission, in line with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
In undertaking its commitment to equality and diversity the University will:
- Promote equality and prevent and eliminate discrimination for staff and students on the grounds of age, disability, gender, marital status, race, sexual orientation, religious belief, social or national origin in a proactive manner;
- Promote disability, gender and racial equality in line with our duties under the law and our belief in the virtue of tolerance and diversity;
- Foster an environment in which all staff and students can realise their full potential through the development of their skills and abilities, regardless of their background;
- Ensure that all students, staff, applicants to the University are treated with respect and dignity and receive fair and equal treatment in all aspects of their applications, employment or learning;
- Ensure that staff comply with the University's policies and procedures through the provision of appropriate training
All staff, students and visitors are expected to act within the remit of the policy and to take responsibility for its successful implementation.
St Mary’s is currently updating their Student Bullying and Harassment Policy to include reference to the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, including bullying and harassment on the grounds of sexual orientation.