The Health & Safety office offers general advice, guidance and support to all University staff, students and visitors.
Anyone with a Health and Safety problem connected with their work should discuss it with their immediate line manager in the first instance.
Advice will also be available from your Faculty/Service Health and Safety Co-ordinator. Where matters cannot be resolved locally, or you need further advice, please contact the University Health and Safety Office. You can also email email@example.com, phone the office or call in for a chat.
The Health & Safety Officer and Fire Safety Officer are available to give advice which is both independent and impartial.
The Health & Safety Officer's functions include:
- Developing health and safety policies, procedures and management arrangements to assist the University in meeting its statutory obligations;
- Facilitating health & safety training and inductions;
- Carrying out health & safety inspections;
- Reporting to the University Health and Safety Committee, Senior Management Board and other committees as required;
- Recording, analysing and investigating any more serious incidents, providing advice on remedial actions, and analysis of incident statistics in order to advise on preventative intervention strategies;
- Liaising with external regulatory bodies for example the Health and Safety Executive (HSE);
- Advising on relevant legislation and providing advice on matters of general health & safety.
The Fire Safety Officer's functions Include:
- Complete annual Fire Risk Assessments - Action and follow up. Review the fire risk assessment if there are any material, incident or procedural changes to a building or its systems.
- Provide staff, student, contractor or visitor fire training and advice when needed and liaise with internal and external contacts.
- Undertake audits and inspections and report findings into the Health and Safety Sub Committee.
- Undertake evacuation drills and record findings and communicate these back to the occupants.
- Investigate fire / fire alarm incidents and provide advice and best practices.
- Work on projects fire safety from design to handover.
- Make sure fire safety equipment is properly tested and serviced.
- Develop policies, strategies and procedures.