In partnership with Child Bereavement UK, St Mary’s University, Twickenham will be holding online training courses addressing bereavement awareness in schools.
Professionals in schools have a unique role in helping grieving children and young people, as children spend a significant amount of time in school. However, education professionals may lack the key knowledge and understanding needed to provide this support successfully. These online courses will develop participants’ understanding of the impact of bereavement on children and young people, as well as presenting practical strategies and ideas for supporting those affected.
- An overview of grief and bereavement
- Children’s understanding of death
- Models of grief and an understanding of children’s responses
- Factors affecting grief
- Practical ideas for managing a child’s responses to their grief
- Creating a bereavement aware culture; policies and procedures
- Local and national pathways for support
Following on from the Bereavement Awareness Training held in 2021, students and partnership schools can now gain further understanding through the following courses:
- Supporting bereaved pupils with additional needs
- Having honest conversations about death and grief in school
- Supporting pupils bereaved by suicide
These three courses will take place in January and March 2022. St Mary's students can attend these courses for free. Partnership school places cost £20 per attendee per course.
Dates and booking details are available on the short courses page.