The Level 4 Nutrition for Physical Activity and Sport RSPH (QCF) course is designed for those who work in the health, fitness or catering professions and promote healthy eating or the preparation of meals, menus and diets for sportspeople at all levels of ability.
Dates and Times
- Saturday 5th - Sunday 6th and Saturday 19th - Sunday 20th October 2019, Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th January 2020
- Saturday 1st - Sunday 2nd and Saturday 15th - Sunday 16th February 2020, Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th April 2020
- Saturday 9th - Sunday 10th and Saturday 16th - Sunday 17th May 2020, Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th June 2020
The full cost is £780. The deposit cost is £50.
Whilst enrolled upon the course you will study the nutritional requirements for a healthy diet, the effect of diet on health and the importance of hydration. The principles of nutrition are applied to fulfilling the dietary requirements for physical activity and sport.
This qualification is made of two components: Principles of Nutrition and Nutrition for Physical Activity and Sport. Whilst studying the two units you will cover:
- Sources functions and used of macro and micro nutrients
- Dietary sources of macro and micro nutrients
- Physiological functions of macro and micro nutrients
- Hydration, dietary requirements and food choices of individuals throughout life
- Components of energy consumption and expenditure
- Energy, hydration and nutrient requirements at different lifetime stages
- Factors that affect nutrient requirements in relation to social, cultural, religious and ethnic groups
- Effects of diet on health
- Relationship between diet and disease
- Possible dietary influences for different groups
- Legislation as it relates to labelling and advertising of food
- Food labelling requirements
- Legal requirements in relation to health claims and nutrition claims
- Understand the requirements for nutrients and hydration during physical activity
- Optimal hydration guidelines for participants in different physical activities and sports
- Understand the relationship between nutrition and physical activity
- How to estimate energy requirements based on physical activity levels and other relevant factors
- Energy expenditure and nutrient use for different physical activities
- Understand how to advise participants in physical activities on nutritional strategies (and menus) to improve performance
- Nutritional strategy for participants to improve performance
- Use of performance enhancing products and sports drinks in nutritional planning for participants in sports and physical activity
The course is assessed via
To enrol on this course you must be 18-years or over. It is recommended that learners should have achieved a level of education equivalent to five GCSEs at grades A*-C however exemptions may be made for adult returners with relevant experience.
Students holding the RSPH Level 4 Award in Nutrition are only required to attend 2 days of this course at a reduced fee of £260. Please call the Short Courses team to discuss this.
Upon successful completion of this course candidates will be awarded a Level 4 Certificate in Nutrition for Physical Activity and Sport from The Royal Society for Public Health.
For more information about this course please contact the Short Courses team:
Tel: 020 8240 4321