The Level 4 Nutrition for Physical Activity and Sport RSPH (QCF) course is designed for those who work in the health, fitness or catering professions and promote healthy eating or the preparation of meals, menus and diets for sportspeople at all levels of ability.
I found St May’s University to be an excellent place to do this with the courses on offer. It is my ambition to create my own holistic wellness business incorporating nutrition, exercise and massage therapy. This course has allowed me to go about doing that.
Dates and Times
This course is delivered over six days from 9am - 5.30pm on the following dates:
- Saturday 14th - Sunday 15th May 2022
- Saturday 21st - Sunday 22nd May 2022
- Saturday 25th - Sunday 26th June 2022
Please note: these dates are subject to change due to Government restrictions
The full cost is £790. The deposit cost is £50.
Students already holding the RSPH Level 4 Award in Nutrition: the add-on cost is £265 (for only the last two dates of the courses).
Whilst enrolled upon the course you will study the nutritional requirements for a healthy diet, the effect of diet on health and the importance of hydration. The principles of nutrition are applied to fulfilling the dietary requirements for physical activity and sport.
This qualification is made of two components: Principles of Nutrition and Nutrition for Physical Activity and Sport. Whilst studying the two units you will cover:
- Sources functions and used of macro and micro nutrients
- Dietary sources of macro and micro nutrients
- Physiological functions of macro and micro nutrients
- Hydration, dietary requirements and food choices of individuals throughout life
- Components of energy consumption and expenditure
- Energy, hydration and nutrient requirements at different lifetime stages
- Factors that affect nutrient requirements in relation to social, cultural, religious and ethnic groups
- Effects of diet on health
- Relationship between diet and disease
- Possible dietary influences for different groups
- Legislation as it relates to labelling and advertising of food
- Food labelling requirements
- Legal requirements in relation to health claims and nutrition claims
- Understand the requirements for nutrients and hydration during physical activity
- Optimal hydration guidelines for participants in different physical activities and sports
- Understand the relationship between nutrition and physical activity
- How to estimate energy requirements based on physical activity levels and other relevant factors
- Energy expenditure and nutrient use for different physical activities
- Understand how to advise participants in physical activities on nutritional strategies (and menus) to improve performance
- Nutritional strategy for participants to improve performance
- Use of performance enhancing products and sports drinks in nutritional planning for participants in sports and physical activity
The course is assessed via
To enrol on this course you must be 18-years or over. It is recommended that learners should have achieved a level of education equivalent to five GCSEs at grades A*-C however exemptions may be made for adult returners with relevant experience.
Please note: students holding the RSPH Level 4 Award in Nutrition are only required to attend the last two days of this course at a reduced fee of £265. Please call the Short Courses team to discuss this.
Upon successful completion of this course candidates will be awarded a Level 4 Certificate in Nutrition for Physical Activity and Sport from The Royal Society for Public Health.
Book your place now
For more information about this course please contact the Short Courses team:
Tel: 020 8240 4321