During your time with us, we aim to support you in developing the skills and attributes you will need to flourish in your chosen subject and progress into the world and there are many services who work alongside your programme teams to achieve this – one of these is the Learning Development Team.
The Learning Development Team is made up of academic lecturers who have focused on learning and teaching during their own studies and professional practice and work alongside programme staff to help you to develop the skills you need to enjoy your studies, overcome any difficulties and make the most of your time at university.
We are here to enable you to become more effective learners and improve your academic performance. We focus on developing skills such as: reading and researching; note taking and analysing; academic conduct; critical thinking; revision and exam techniques; structuring written work; improving presentations; effective skills for research – amongst others! We do this in a variety of ways:
- We teach on modules within programmes across the university, embedding academic study skills into the curriculum, so that you learn how to study more effectively, alongside learning the content of your chosen subject
- We run workshops, lectures and seminars to enhance your skills, which are tailored to the needs of your programme, especially at key times - such as when writing assignments or revising for exams
- We offer language workshops, which run throughout the year, for students on any programme whose first language is not English
- We work with students in small groups or 1:1, focussing on specific assignments or skills that you need to improve your study strategies and techniques and unlock your potential
- We develop and provide a range of materials which can support your studies and which you can access online whenever you need them
Whilst at university, alongside learning new information about your subject area, you will be asked to develop a range of new skills and you will be given opportunities to find out about your strengths and weaknesses. Everybody sometimes needs guidance in achieving to the best of their ability and we can be there for you - whether you are trying to pass a particularly challenging assignment, or heading for the highest possible grades!