Here are some important safety tips for drinking acohol.
- Look out for your friends, everyone has different tolerances to alcohol.
- Pace yourself when out drinking. Enjoy your night, but don’t try and keep up with friends that can drink more than you.
- Try not to drink on an empty stomach – have something to eat before going out drinking.
- Alternate alcoholic drinks with water, you'll feel better in the morning.
- It's ok to refuse a drink if you don't want one.
- Avoid pressuring others into drinking to excess.
- Be wary of accepting drinks from people you don't know.
- Watch your drinks – ensure they are safe to avoid having your drink spiked. This advice also applies to soft drinks, teas, coffees etc.
- If you are wary as to whether your drink has been tampered with, don’t drink it!
- If you see someone tampering with someone else’s drink, report it to the bar staff.
- When buying alcohol stick to recognised shops, brands, and suppliers. Always look out for suspicious packaging or if the seal has been tampered with.
- Read Save the Students article ‘How to protect your drink from being spiked’.
Who to call when you feel unsafe
Our Security Control Room
Please call our security team on:
- general contact number - 020 8240 4335
- emergency number - 020 8240 4060.
Police and authorities
Please call the police on:
- non-emergencies - 101
- emergencies - 999 (do not be afraid to call this number in emergencies).