Here are some important safety tips for using taxis and mini-cabs.
- Know what you are getting into – always pre-book a licenced taxi or minicab.
- Use reputable licenced providers. There are many good apps you can use.
- Make sure you know the make, model and registration number of the vehicle you are expecting to pick you up.
- If you use a company such as Uber or Bolt where you receive details of the car licence plate number and driver information beforehand, take a screenshot and send to a friend or family member.
- When it arrives, do not immediately give your name but check the driver knows your name and where you are going before you get in.
- Always sit in the back of a vehicle.
- Do not accept any form of food or drink from a taxi/mini cab driver.
- Read Unite Students tips on ‘How to get a safe taxi home in the UK’.
Who to call when you feel unsafe
Our Security Control Room
Please call our security team on:
- general contact number - 020 8240 4335
- emergency number - 020 8240 4060.
Police and authorities
Please call the police on:
- non-emergencies - 101
- emergencies - 999 (do not be afraid to call this number in emergencies).