St Mary’s University provide subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) courses in the following subjects:
- Maths: 8 or 16 weeks
- Spanish: 8 weeks
- French: 8 weeks
- Maths: 8, 16 or 28 weeks
- French: 8, 16 or 28 weeks
- Spanish: 8, 16 or 28 weeks
- Biology: 8, 16 or 28 weeks
- Chemistry: 8, 16 or 28 weeks
- Physics: 8, 16 or 28 weeks
- Computer Science: 8, 16 or 28 weeks
- Geography: 8, 16 or 28 weeks
- English: 8 weeks
The length of programme that you undertake will be decided by your provider.
- 8 week (200 hours) programmes are for candidates who require their subject knowledge boosted or refreshed to GCSE level.
- 16 week (400 hours) programmes are for candidates who want to teach at ‘A’ level and already hold a strong qualification in your specialist subject.
- 28 week (700 hours) programmes are for candidates that will benefit from a longer subject knowledge enhancement through GCSE and ‘A’ Level.
Download SKE booklet
For further information please contact Lizzy Jackson: SKE@stmarys.ac.uk
Face-to-face course information
You will be taught by a team of experienced teacher practitioners with a wealth of experience and expertise working in secondary and higher education.
The eight-week face-to-face programmes will run from 3rd June 2019 – 26th July 2019, Monday – Friday 9am-4pm.
The sixteen-week face to face Mathematics will run from 8th April 2019 – 26th July 2019, Monday – Friday 9am-4pm.
All face to face programmes are based here at St Mary’s University. Directions are available on our website.
Parking at St Mary’s is restricted. You can book a parking space at £2 a day by contacting reception: 020 8240 4000. Parking spaces are limited and there are a number of parking restrictions in the surrounding area. We recommend using public transport where possible.
Online course information
Our courses are unique in providing a bespoke interactive platform that allows trainees to start to link the subject with the pedagogy.
The courses are comprised of core modules and optional modules. You will be required to complete the activities in all of the core modules. You can then develop your learning path using the optional modules.
You will have access to a specialist tutor with whom you can arrange tutorials via e-mail, Skype, telephone or face to face if geographically viable.
The Science SKE programme also offers an optional, but highly recommend, attended practical summer school at our partner school campus.
The SKE programmes can be commenced at any time during the relevant academic year with completion prior to the commencement of your PGCE programme.
- You must have an offer of a place on a Teacher Training programme with the SKE programme a condition of that offer
- You must not have attended any NCTL funded SKE previously
- Your Teacher Training subject must match your SKE subject.
- Your degree score must be 2:2 or above (or equivalent)
Course costs and funding
SKE programmes are funded and attract a bursary from the NCTL.
Self-funded SKE courses
If you have the offer of a PGCE place your funding will usually be undertaken by the NCTL. If you wish to take one of our SKE courses, but do not have a PGCE offer you can opt to undertake a self-funded course for personal and professional development.
For 2018/19 self-funded fees are:
- 8 weeks: £2,500
- 16 weeks: £5,000
- 28 weeks: £8,000